Author Topic: Hiker Rescued After Getting Lost in Presidentials  (Read 1338 times)

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
Re: Hiker Rescued After Getting Lost in Presidentials
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 08:57:06 AM »
I understand.  I was only griping about taxes versus value.

Sometimes folks make bad decisions.  Let's face it, we've all been guilty at one time or another.  I think it's pretty crappy that hiking and climbing are cherry-picked, out of the thousands of ways to hurt one's self, for pay as you go rescues.  Should it also be the same for a man who decides to sweep the chimney in a lightning storm?

I agree with you 100%. I love it how the people sitting on their ass at home, stuffing their face with Ben & Jerry's then sparking up a Paul Mall, can sit there and pontificate that these "senseless risk takers" need to pay their fair share. Seriously, who's more likely to end up leaching more from society?

Another point is that the state of NH spends a good amount of money trying to attract people to come up north and enjoy the mountains. To some extent, this should be considered a cost of doing business.

I do agree with frik that cellphones in the mountains suck.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »
 just remember that snowmobilers pay a hefty registration fee every year to the F&G.... the fact that F&G spends a lot of its time babysitting the folks who pay does not bother me. Hikers, climbers, and BC skiers pay no fee - and i'd like to keep it that way.

I really don't see the problem here. If you don't want to pay for a rescue -then don't get into a situation where you'll need one. I'm pretty effing old, so this may seem like a totally alien concept to a lot of folks here. But in the Precambrian era nobody had any expectation of getting  rescued. That doesn't mean it didn't occur, just that  everyone was a bit more prepared i guess.

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »
I really don't see the problem here. If you don't want to pay for a rescue -then don't get into a situation where you'll need one.

I agree in general with your sentiment. It just seems to me 95% of the folks that make comments in the online newspapers about accidents and rescues are hypocrites - and it pisses me off.

Seriously, people do stupid stuff all the time, and expect to get their butts hauled out of the mess. They can say "I pay my taxes" all they want, but so don't climbers and hikers. 

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 10:33:18 AM »
JB: You read comment in online newspapers?
WTF you're asking for trouble.

Costs for a lot of stuff gets "socialized" under certain conditions - including rescues for hikers and climbers.
Under other conditions notso much. For instance what happens when the rescue is only able to retrieve a dead body.
The rescue itself  has a cost; fuel, overtime, heli -whatever, but an actual cost and hit to the budget of whatever entity incurred the cost.

How does that entity make up for the hit? Because they won't be getting it from the victim. Same thing would apply if the victim were alive but was financially unable (no cash, no assets, no credit) to pay a rescue bill.