NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me get out!  (Read 920 times)

hobbsj

• NEClimbs Full Member
Help me get out!
« on: May 17, 2012, 07:06:35 AM »

Got nailed with plantar fasciitis and am going stir crazy after a week.  Running and cycling send me through the roof the next morning with pain.  And the pressure placed on the connective tissue when smearing or edging doesn't help either.  Any thoughts on how to get out?  I was thinking of just aid climbing to get out and have some fun, but I think the the narrow platform on the aiders wouldn't help either.  Anybody else have prior experience and coping ideas?

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Help me get out!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:18:02 AM »

Bad News =Suffered with it for 2 years, podiatrist/custom orthotics/ lots of NSAIDS/cortisone injections--you name it, only moderate relief; Good News, kept climbing/guiding as much as I could--eventually it healed during 2nd winter when I was just wearing ski boots with my custom insoles    Wishing you luck!! It really sucks when your feet hit the floor in the morning!!

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »

Canoe/kayak (I much prefer solo canoe).  Flatwater = aerobic, whitewater = cortisol and epinephrine.

5wt 6' flyrod/feeder stream/5-inch brookies = zen.

Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

triguy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »

Had this before also, it suks!!!

Get your Dr. To prescribe a boot to wear at night. This should help the morning time agony, as long as you are consistent wearing it.

During the day keep a soup can and tennis ball handy and roll your foot on it as much as possible.

Also, don't forget to keep your calves stretched out.

Orthotics should help, but if your feet hurt on the bike (assume you are using clip-ins) you may want to get a good bike fitter to look at your cleat position on your shoe. Sometimes a millimeter change will make all the difference.

Good luck, not a fun recovery.
Ice has two purposes in life: climbing and watering down bad scotch!

dp

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »

Try prp injections, a little expensive but good results, don't get an operation!  don't wear flip flops, buy a good pair of running shoes and massage the bottoms of your feet daily, it took awhile but my feet healed up fine, but it took about a year, good luck

MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »

Fix the plantar fasciitis quick. I've known a couple of folks who have been dogged by it for years and it is not fun. I'd recommend staying off it for a while to let it heal. Short term disappointment, but better than a nagging injury that saps the whole summer.

I've had flare ups here and there and it is usually b/c I don't stretch the calves enough. Most folks I know have gotten quite a bit of long-term relief from stretching. You can also massage the bottom of your feet with a golf ball. If you sit at a computer for a job, you can do it on and off during the day. Ice liberally and anti-inflamms, preferably get a script from a doc.

Good luck!

Mike

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 07:46:28 AM »

I agree with MT.  I coach high school track and cross-country and have had many of my runners suffer PF.  Using a golf ball to massage the area of the foot works great. It helps break up the adhesions in the foot that cause the pain and discomfort.  Good luck.

hobbsj

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »

Thanks for the rec's.  Hard part is that I have to be pain free and in shape in 2 months--job depends on it.  I've been to the doc who said many of the things you guys have, but I like the golf-ball idea since I seem to crush the tennis balls!  I think the pain on the bike may have been from the running the day before and then going out and riding hard.    Hopefully this will mend itself in a timely fashion with only 1 shot.

Dale, I like the idea of the paddling.  I may have to invest in a boat since that seems like the only exercise I can do right now.  And you have a point--the fly line has been sitting in the basement way too long!

MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »

I think the pain on the bike may have been from the running the day before and then going out and riding hard.

I got PF one summer when I was riding a lot. It cleared up when I heightened my seat a bit. My toes point down a bit more than they should, but it takes the a bit of the strain off the ball of the foot, which worsens the PF (at least in my case). Of course, push the seat too high and the boys go to sleep. It's a balance--performance on the bike vs. performance elsewhere.

All this said, my PF was usually cleared up with aggressive calve stretching. To follow up on the golf ball thing, you can also do an ice massage. Freeze ice in Dixie cups, rip the cup away and put it on a towel on the floor. Then use it similar to the golf ball. Kills two birds w/ one stone.

Good luck,

Mike

triguy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 07:47:36 AM »

I think I am having a bit of sympathy pain .... My PF In my left foot hurt this morning getting out of bed!

I am not surprised as I got a quick run in at lunch yesterday and did not stretch at all either before or after. Gotta keep those calves good and loose.

Champ, can you please expound on the perfect angle necessary to effectively stretch our your calves?
Ice has two purposes in life: climbing and watering down bad scotch!

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »

TriGuy it is always the X position didnt you read Freedom of the Hills 39th edition rewritten by Chap with the 45 min max per pitch or you will DIE!!!!!!!!
 Good luck with the PF seems more common than I thought MT has been bothered by it for a while but I just thought he was old :)
bailing is not failing!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 22 queries.