NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech ?  (Read 360 times)

DWT

Tech ?
« on: May 18, 2012, 06:46:08 AM »

If you were only going to buy one camera in your lifetime, what would it be?  Why?

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Tech ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:05:03 AM »

Rolli 35

They haven't made them in decades but you can still pick them up used. Very simple camera, compact, beautiful ziess lens.  As long as someone still manufactures film, these units will still be taking great pictures. I wouldn't expect any digital camera to last a lifetime - maybe not even 30 years. That leaves manuals, and if longevity is the goal then simpler is better.

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »

Frik...man if you could only get film for it. I would have film camera too: a Leica M3. That camera was so innovative at the time it changed how all SLR's are made. It also took amazing pictures for such a small platform. Plus you can easily take it apart and clean it if you need to.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:53:39 AM »

Ya Leica made some great cameras. What format was the M3?
The Rolli is a 35mm so, you can still get film and even get it developed.... it just isn't as omnipresent or convenient as in the past.

Don't get me wrong - no way am i doing back to film. Digital cameras take excellent shots, and are so convenient they beat "film" cameras in ALMOST every way imaginable. But if i could only have one camera, and it needed to last for my whole life... -well that's an entirely different proposition.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »

If you want a camera that you can use 25 years from now, you will want a mechanical one.  Rolli is great, I thought they take 220 film though.  I could be wrong.  You all know more about Leicas than I do.  Here's something to think about - how about the Vietname era Nikon (Nikon F)?  That thing is built like a tank.  I am holding on to my Olympus OM-1, the 1st small SLR of the 'modern era'.  All manual, the only elec is the light meter, which can be subst by an external light meter.

Eric, you could ask Nancy to offer her (professional) opinion! :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:44:24 PM by sneoh »

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »

The Leica was a 35mm film camera.
I got thinking after I posted my reply. I searched and found a picture of my dad from '65 with two Leicas (one black and white and one color slide)around his neck in Vietnam. He was a combat camera man and at the time he was posted with SF guys. He left the Army soon after. Throughout his professional life as a photographer he extolled me with the tales of the Leicas.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.