Author Topic: No Thank You  (Read 1203 times)

DGoguen

No Thank You
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »
Maybe I'm becoming a grouchy old bastard, or have already arrived but.... when did screaming "Thank You " become part of the belay signal.
The other day at Cathedral people screaming, I'm off belay, you're off belay, Thank You. You're on belay, climbing, climb when ready, Thank You, No problem. Seriously?
O.K., I'll go back to yelling at my cereal, carry on.

Offline punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
Re: No Thank You
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »
Ha Ha Ha!

You dont seem grumpy when we climb together, but maybe we are both a couple of crotchety old farts.  I think instead of "Thank you"  maybe we could change it to "Im off Belay, Fuck You!"  "Youre on, Fuck You!"  Seems more appropriate.

Anyways, Keep in touch!

Bill
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »
I say thank you for my belays most of the time. I had no idea anyone would be offended...lol...

Takes all kinds I guess.
Tom Stryker

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:47:26 AM »
Ha Ha Ha!

You dont seem grumpy when we climb together, but maybe we are both a couple of crotchety old farts.  I think instead of "Thank you"  maybe we could change it to "Im off Belay, Fuck You!"  "Youre on, Fuck You!"  Seems more appropriate.

Anyways, Keep in touch!

Bill

We already do this.

Another one my partners do is if you ask them to "check me out" (meaning double check the harness, etc.) all you will get out of them is, "nice ass."

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

DGoguen

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »
I say thank you for my belays most of the time. I had no idea anyone would be offended...lol...

It's not that I'm offended, its' just that screaming "thank you" from the tree ledge down to the base of Funhouse then "your welcome" back is a bit much.
I know it's not a wilderness experience but......

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
Ha Ha Ha!

Anyways, Keep in touch!

Bill

We already do this.

Another one my partners do is if you ask them to "check me out" (meaning double check the harness, etc.) all you will get out of them is, "nice ass."

Asking your partners to check you out.. that's a new one

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:21:42 PM »
The grumpy old man I climb with always says thank-you...and I appreciate it. I'm not one for the whole tugging on the rope BS..if we are in ear shot every bit of communication just keeps us safer.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 07:00:04 AM »
The "Thank You" serves another purpose other than to be polite, it lets your partner know that you heard them. The older and grunpier that you get the more important this becomes as your hearing diminishes. I would think that you could relate DGoguen :).

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 07:02:43 AM »
I mean "Grumpier", I guess other things are also failing with age.

DLottmann

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 07:25:12 AM »
“You’re welcome” is totally unnecessary, but I use Thank You to acknowledge I heard them. Actually don’t usually use Thank You with my regular partners as they know I heard them... I guess I only use it with clients.

A old friend and I one day changed all commands to “Yo”... we knew exactly what each “Yo” meant given the situation and it was kinda funny...

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 09:42:01 AM »
+1 for that D

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »
A Brit friend and I have just used "Roight" in the same way! We got some looks one day at the Gunks--I tied in, approached the rock, looked at him, said "roight?" he answered "roight"  and so on! It amused us at the time. We did get called out for our "unsafe communication" by a guy with two young women in tow, with gear so shiny the price tags might have still been on it. Later on a short one pitch lead the same day, I just tied into the middle of one of our 8.8 double ropes, and then each time I clipped (alternate ropes) I said "clipping green, Bob". After I was up about 50 feet the guy on the next route asked Bob if I knew that both my ropes were the same color, to which he answered " it's a JOKE"! The other guy answered "but they are!" :-[
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:40:10 PM by Jeff »

DLottmann

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »
LOL Jeff... today at Square Ledge a young shirtless hiker asked me and my fellow guide if we were “opening” “The Brain” today... P.C. looked at me and asked, “Are you opening it Dave?” I replied “I had no idea it was ever closed”... not as funny now as I read it back... but who “opens” a climb... I might not be up to speed on the new generation lingo... maybe “open” mean’s drop a top-rope on it?

Offline John Ski

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • "Never pass up a chance to get pumped"-Tony Yaniro
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »
D Man, the confusion about you opening up The Brain may be the result of Mountain Projects listing of Square Ledge in Pinkham as having a seasonal raptor closure while it's really the Square Ledge in the Sandwich Range that has the closure.
"Thems that dies will be the lucky ones" - Capt. Long John Silver

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »
Asking your partners to check you out.. that's a new one

Really? I've been climbing quite a while now, and when I started was taught to always double check each others harness, tie in, etc. My older climbing partners always make fun of it though. (I always double check myself anyway, but it's still habit for me to check my partners too.)

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck