Author Topic: Beal vs Mammut Ropes?  (Read 397 times)

Offline Stickyfingerz

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Goosfraba!!!
Beal vs Mammut Ropes?
« on: April 14, 2004, 08:52:12 AM »
Hey All,

After seeing my buddy's double ropes in action a couple of times (a bail-off of Moby Grape in a thunderstorm and super easy protection for the second on the pitch 2 Book o' Solemnity traverse) I've decided to get myself a pair for this season.

I can get a good deal on Beal and Mammut ropes and have been looking at the Beal Cobra 8.6 and the Mammut Genesis 8.5. The intended use of these ropes would be for both multi-pitch trad and for ice climbing in the winter.

As the price is just about equal between the two, I've been leaning toward the Beal as it has a lower impact force (5.1 kN vs 6.3 kN) and higher fall rating (16 vs 11). I'd appreciate any input you guys have from your own personal experience.

Thanks.

~SF~
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. - Mark Twain

Offline ccclimber

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Beal vs Mammut Ropes?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 12:28:18 PM »
either one is great...it's the only two brands of ropes i'll spend my  $ on...just retired my beal 8.6...went with the mammut 8.5 cause i got a good deal...i think mammuts have better abrasion resistance and beals have a better dry treatment...
Ed

Offline scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 01:50:17 PM »
beal ropes fuzz really quickly, agree that mammut ropes have a burlier sheath.

if you can afford it, have 2 sets of doubles...
1 set for rock w/ no dry treatment
1 set for ice w/ dry treatment

dry treatment will wear off during the summer before you even get to test 'em this coming ice season.

i have the mammuts and all i climbed with think they're great.

Offline dogboy

• NEClimbs Moderator
  • NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 02:22:51 PM »
I climb on Mammuts, and would highly recommend them.  I've used several other manufacturers' ropes (including Beal), and the Mammuts are by far trhe most durable.  The trade-off is that the Mammuts have a fairly stiff hand....
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 03:07:43 PM »
I second dogboy, Mammut doubles are my favorite
-om