Author Topic: The Outlook  (Read 1217 times)

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
Re: The Outlook
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 07:35:29 AM »
Last time I hiked the Mahoosuc range I ran into a group of orienteers that were looking for the crashed plane that slacker mentioned. It must be a popular thing among that crowd.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Online Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
apparently there is a geocache on top of North Bald Cap and the AT also runs along a ridge very close by. it's a cool area...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Echo

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »
apparently there is a geocache on top of North Bald Cap and the AT also runs along a ridge very close by. it's a cool area...

Got out to North Bald Cap today, some pics on my FB page if ya know me ;)

I was told the AT runs over The Outlook, and that is the preferred approach... hike along the AT and rap in...

North Bald Cap (October Sundae), is arguably on of the best 5.6’s in NH. (sorry for the downgrade PC), it definitely requires some long run-outs on moderate terrain making it suitable for a solid 5.7 leader, but no move on it came close to either Sliding Board (or Hugo’s Revisited IMO)...

Some of the most beautiful granite in the state... I have yet to get to Yosemite but the clean-ness of and “young feel” of the granite on this nearby climb had me thinking of Yosemite...

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 08:07:05 PM »

Got out to North Bald Cap today, some pics on my FB page if ya know me ;)

I was told the AT runs over The Outlook, and that is the preferred approach... hike along the AT and rap in...

North Bald Cap (October Sundae), is arguably on of the best 5.6’s in NH. (sorry for the downgrade PC), it definitely requires some long run-outs on moderate terrain making it suitable for a solid 5.7 leader, but no move on it came close to either Sliding Board (or Hugo’s Revisited IMO)...

Some of the most beautiful granite in the state... I have yet to get to Yosemite but the clean-ness of and “young feel” of the granite on this nearby climb had me thinking of Yosemite...

It's not the AT (which is the Mahoosuc Trail through here) it's the Success Trail, which connects from Success Pond Road to the AT. If you look at the AMC trail map it will be obvious. [Not that I've been to the Outlook -- but its actually marked on the map.]
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Online Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »
as I understand from Paul Cormier the AT does run across the ridge to the left of NBC. 
Al Hospers

Online Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 08:44:03 PM »

I think if you do the preferred headwall on P4, that and the move into the crack on P3, those are a bit harder than 5.6. on Tuesday I watched 2 parties wander about having route-finding problems and not doing those moves, taking easier lines.
Al Hospers

Offline dpen

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 09:10:24 PM »

as I understand from Paul Cormier the AT does run across the ridge to the left of NBC.

That's true Al, left or to the East as you walk in.   You can zoom in using this map and pretty easily pick out NBC

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/interactive-map

D

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »

Yeah the AT is very close by. But trust me, you're not rapping from the AT off of the Outlook.
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

Offline dpen

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 09:26:50 PM »
Correct, it runs on the ridge to the east of the outlook.  Hard to tell from this particular map, but maybe and 1/4 mile east?

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »
Probably more like .75 miles from the top of the Outlook to the AT via the Success trail heading slightly southeast.

-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

Echo

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 08:05:58 AM »
I think if you do the preferred headwall on P4, that and the move into the crack on P3, those are a bit harder than 5.6. on Tuesday I watched 2 parties wander about having route-finding problems and not doing those moves, taking easier lines.

I got to follow Smear's 2 person party up the route and we stayed on their heels so route-finding was done for me ;) That might have been why it felt like easy 5.6 even though it was my first time there. That headwall step up was much easier than the two crux's of Sliding Board to me... easier than the 5.7 finish of Standard on Whitehorse too... maybe it's the high friction not polished granite... I was pretty psyched on how fast we did the route...

7:30 left Frontside Grind
8:30 parked
9:15 started climbing
12:00 both 2 person teams on top
13:00 everyone on the ground
13:30 beers at the car
14:35 beers at the Moat

That's my kind of "back-country" day:)

Can't wait to go back next week and check out the right side...

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
Oh man, this sounds great! Maybe I'll check it out Saturday.

Offline Chinos

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
i went up there without any knowledge of where the route went. lucky for me Al and Paul were up above us. the route wanders a lot and it can be easy to get "off route", but i found most of the climbing in that area to stay in that grade range. really fun route with a great headwall finish!

Online Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »
Paul is really happy that there are so many folks going out there and enjoying the routes. It's a wonderful location.
Al Hospers

Echo

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »
Paul is really happy that there are so many folks going out there and enjoying the routes. It's a wonderful location.

Maybe you could squeeze some more detailed descriptions out of him for the routes section?