Author Topic: stinging things on Upper Refuse  (Read 508 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
stinging things on Upper Refuse
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »
I got the following in an email Sunday afternoon:

---------------------------------

I was finishing up Upper Refuse few hours ago, when I got dive-bombed by angry hornets (or were they wasps?  I really couldn't tell).  I got stung on my legs and neck, just below the helmet, and almost fell off how hard I had to windmill with both arms to get them off me.  I am amazed they let me get away with just a few stings.  Still, I'm pretty swollen up and hurting.

It was funny on retrospect that someone had chalked a big X on the big left-facing flake on that last bit of rock above the big belay tree, just above the top-off of the Upper Refuse.  I saw it last week too....  It occured to me that some nice climber marked it as a warning, that there must be wasps there, but I haven't even finished the thought when they appeared out of thin air and attacked. 

I always go straight up to the tourist fence, and that's where their nest is, on the underside of flake.  A girl who went up at the same time, topped out to the right and did not even see one, let alone get attacked.

---------------------------------
Al Hospers

DLottmann

Re: stinging things on Upper Refuse
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »
Smear confirmed this this afternoon, he got stung on the leg today as well. Itís the bottom of the flake if you do the nice finish to UR to the fence... might be best to take the easy walk off instead right now...

Offline Smear

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: stinging things on Upper Refuse
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 06:28:01 PM »
Hear that! Walkoff it is.

I'm shocked I only got stung once.I guess I was just close enough to piss them off. :-[