NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rescue at Red Rocks!  (Read 1551 times)

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Rescue at Red Rocks!
« on: July 07, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »

http://lvmpdsar.blogspot.com/2012/07/epinephrine-all-nighter.html

Not sure how one gets lost on Epi....but.... :-\
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Rescue at Red Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »

'climbers from Ohio'--all you need to know. Five bucks says that pretty much all they've done before is clip bolts at the Red.

And what the hell ever happened to huddling on the ledge until light? A little suffering is good for the soul and a fitting penance for being dumb.

If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 12:36:57 AM »

And what the hell ever happened to huddling on the ledge until light? A little suffering is good for the soul and a fitting penance for being dumb.

Amen!!!   ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:26:03 AM »

I like the sign  at the trail head in Seneca.  Something allong the lines of Spending the night on the cliff does NOT constitute an emergency needing a rescue..

Bill

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • It's All Good, Just Climb!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »

'climbers from Ohio'--all you need to know. Five bucks says that pretty much all they've done before is clip bolts at the Red.

Hate to give the appearance of "piling on" with this one but I have to agreed wholeheartedly with Pappy on this one!

shanucis

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Code Red Safety
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:46:24 AM »

Rope rescue techniques can help a lot in rock climbing and rescue operations. Rope rescue techniques actually reduces the man power and makes you to perform the operation fastly and smartly.

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »

Champ, is that you?

DGoguen

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »

Rope rescue techniques actually reduces the man power and makes you to perform the operation fastly and smartly.
Not to mention less pricely and far less impactier on the environment.

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 02:44:04 PM »

Agreed, but now with cell phones it is easy to yell "HELP!"

First time in the Valley in 1978, my buddy and I did Royal Arches.  Despite starting at 6 am, we were benighted on the descent, missed the North Dome gully and were rapping down too soon (classic error for newbies).  The last rappel was lowered into the darkness and since we couldn't see that it was actually touching ground we spent the night shivering in T shirts and shorts in May.  We both thought that the earth had actually stopped spinning as the stars over Half Dome didn't seem to move.

Never happened a second time....

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »

I have had the earth stop spinning in the Valley before.... it was me thatkept spinning

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 11:19:14 PM »

I think Ward was 'having fun with botany' or suffering mild hypothermia.  :):)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 09:03:08 AM »

yeah, I got benighted my first time on the route finding nightmare known as New Diversions on Whitesides. We had even dumped our water  :-\ about 3:00 in anticipation of topping out, then I took more than an hour figuring out a W'sides '5.8' crux (an overhanging lip with a 20 yr. 1/4"er 15' below you. It actually is only hard 5.8 if you diagonal up the exact holds exactly the right way. otherwise it's several grades harder. I read later that it took Rotert several trips on the FA to figure it out, so now I don't feel so bad, then I was pissed.). Then Mark took forever on the 10+ crux just because the old bolt sticks halfway out and is bent over. Pansy. Now it's like 15 minutes to black with one more hard crux before easy street. I fly across a 40' traverse with no time for gear and look for the critical bolt above, and there is just a sea of that brown leafy lichen, with a rusty brown hanger hidden somewhere in it. I cried.
We rapped back down to a ledge, but below that the raps would have been diagonal down some overhanging rock, and we decided since the night was supposed to be clear and still (late Sept.), the high percentage move was just to stay put. Mark's house is right below the cliff, and his wife hiked up and yelled did we want a rescue, but that would have been just way too embarrassing. The sliver of a moon dawdled, paused, and I swear went backwards. I at least had a light fleece shirt, but Mark just had a long sleeve T and shivered like a dog, but at least we didn't get up close and personal like we had to when we got nailed by a snowstorm on the Beckey-Chouinard, but that's another story of surviving stupidity and ignorance. And we got thirsty, real thirsty. It finally got light and I led out, and along the way there was a little pocket in the rock with about a couple of ounces of water and a whole bunch of dead bugs floating, and I slurped it right up. When Mark got to it he cussed me like a dog for drinking all of it, but like Kor used to say, Fuck the second.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 09:04:02 PM »

I agreee too. I though for a minutes of how it could happen. when should we bail, how light most we climb and how realiable is the forecast. It happen to good and safe climber. In general, they come back alive. Penance is a good think for climber.

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 12:44:42 PM »

I hadn't really thought about it until I wrote my story above, but maybe what we need to do in the age of cell phones is bring back the culture of embarrassment. There are times when you need a rescue, there just are no longer any other reasonable alternatives, and you're a lucky SOB that there are people who can and will. But I think even then, you should feel embarrassed (at least) at having to do so. Hey, if you seriously need a rescue then a red face is the very least of your concerns, and it's hard to imagine any scenario where at least part of your predicament can't be traced back to something you did or didn't do. There are no innocent victims in this game. But maybe that human fear of being embarrassed by what you've done will help you focus when you're trying to figure out if there is any way you can escape this fiasco on your own, or have you well and truly screwed the pooch.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:52:22 PM by pappy »

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 04:41:34 PM »

Gave you +1 for this one Pappy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 23 queries.