Author Topic: Rescue at Red Rocks!  (Read 1907 times)

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Rescue at Red Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
I have been doing a lot of rope solo adventures on multi pitch in a place with no cell coverage and no other climbers this summer. One of my big fears is dropping a my rope when rigging rappels. I know this is easily avoided yet I still have this awfull visual of me dropping my only rope and haveing to holler down to the non climbers 1/4 mile away for help. At least if i had a cell i could try caling one of my climbing buddys for help.... Either way it would easily be the most embaresing moment ever :-[

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »
There are no innocent victims in this game. But maybe that human fear of being embarrassed by what you've done will help you focus when you're trying to figure out if there is any way you can escape this fiasco on your own, or have you well and truly screwed the pooch.

I must like to discuss that point a little bit deeply and bring some other argument (new is not appropriate here). Today, a climber is embarassed to ask rescue, but he his also embarassed to not be able to find his route on a 5.8. A 5.11 climber who repeat thousand time a route in a small cliff think that he his a 5.11 climber, or at least a 5.10 climber. When he his in a 5.8, to be rescue his more honorable because he can blame the rock to be treaterous more than his poor knowledge. We had a party of two who felt in 2002. they make all things perfect except to stay anchor for the night. They felt to there death. They didn't know.

To embarassed people because they do mistake is a solution that Dman used a lot on this forum. And I know that a lot of people agree with that. That can work with "don't drink and drive". when you saw the name of your friend on the paper, you will be a shame and, as you don't want to be the next one, you will be more cautious in the future. In fact, that situation suggest that you are going to use alternative solution where you thing that there is no danger: design driver, bolt anchor, bolt to simplify route finding (old climber leave a piton to proove they make it and show the way), climbing hard before doing "easy thing" in the cliff, relying on technology to belay insted of knowledge, etc.

contrary to a drunker, I don't think that a climber place himselve in a dangerous situation and they do it more by ignorance or negligence than by going to a bar and drink with the key of the car in his hand. I am not for any violence and insulting someone trap in the wild, as they just survive an hard moment, is very violent in my mind. I don't respect those people who take plaisir to diminiss some one else just to show a big ego. When you go to the mountain, you take a risk. And a true climber will always feel lucky to came back a live. When you go to the gym, you don't have that notion of risk. Emphasing that difference is for me very important. Some climb are an adventure, some climb are an exercise or week end activity. Making a difference between them an making the climber proud to be able to avoid the danger is, for me, a better solution than embarassing some one else.

(my english is better, I know, still not perfect...trainingg to be good)   
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:58:11 PM by lucky luke »

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I do not see it as makeing someone embaresed.  For me it is more that I am embaresed when I screw up. No need to put that on someone. If they have good christian upbringing they put the shame on themselfs :-[

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »
I do not see it as makeing someone embaresed.  For me it is more that I am embaresed when I screw up.
Same here.  I like to think most people who take responsibility and pride in what they do share this mentality.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

DLottmann

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »
There are no innocent victims in this game. But maybe that human fear of being embarrassed by what you've done will help you focus when you're trying to figure out if there is any way you can escape this fiasco on your own, or have you well and truly screwed the pooch.
To embarassed people because they do mistake is a solution that Dman used a lot on this forum.

I've never tried to "embarrass" anyone but try to learn from others mistakes, and share that knowledge with new climbers, just like you do in your own way. If you disagree please provide a quote from where I have intentionally tried to embarrass someone and I'll definitely apologize.