NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost chalk bag on Cannon  (Read 1132 times)

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
Lost chalk bag on Cannon
« on: July 14, 2012, 11:30:59 PM »

Dropped my chalk bag of the second pitch of Sam's Swan Song. It's red, "Koshka" brand. I'm somewhat attached to it, memory of a good climbing trip. If someone finds it - please let me know, will be forever grateful (with a six-pack of your choice!) 
-om

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
Re: Lost chalk bag on Cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:03:52 PM »

We climbed Lightening Bolt crack on Sunday and didn't notice anything around the base or on the pitch.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »

I can't believe it still, but a very modest and nice person had retrieved it an given back to me :)
Its back in operation
-om

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »

I can't believe it still, but a very modest and nice person had retrieved it an given back to me :)
Its back in operation

Nice!

Btw - how was Sam's? Is it reasonable if you're used to moderate alpine stuff with a little loose, or is it a route for single guy's without children?

-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:01:54 AM »

J Sams is pretty good except for one easy pitch up to the cow pasture where there is a loose blocky crack system near the ledge,can be avoided at 5.7 r.Other than that it was typical Cannon.Fun route.
 Jim
bailing is not failing!!!

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 02:34:34 PM »

Thanks.

It has a really bad rep for loose/dangerous and I wasn't sure if it was overblown a bit.
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »

Haven't something like three people died on that thing so far? You are lucky your chalkbag didn't cause an avalanche, OM :))
I hope you come out with us to Greens/Owls at least once this Fall. I haven't seen you in ages and we have some nice new things to get on that don't fall down.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »

Btw - how was Sam's? Is it reasonable if you're used to moderate alpine stuff with a little loose, or is it a route for single guy's without children?

...being a married woman with child and climbing with another one just like that i guess the answer to your question is NO  ;)

It's ran out and loose in places, you will not be placing gear for half of the pitch sometimes. And there are other places where you can get hurt if you fall and the move is 5.7. Its much easier than Moby but much much less clean. But if you know where you going and comfortable at the grade its a good route, alternative on busy weekends. I would NEVER do it if there are people above me however.

Mark, i have not heard  of any lethal incidents on it - luckily! Greens/Owls sound good, but a bit too far at the moment. I'm super excited i managed an expedition to White Horse last week:)
-om

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »

"..sounds a bit too far.."  - Oh, that's no good. ;( , coming from someonw who can hike for miles with a watermelon in the top of their pack with no complaining.

I re-checked, and, yes, there have been three deaths on Swan's Song that I know of, one where a guy placed a piton behind a loose block that crushed his leg and a team who fell when their piton anchor pulled out. It is the most deadly route on Cannon. I always think of Nazgul flying around when I think of that route.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 05:27:52 PM »

Mark, get in touch with Dima.  He expressed interest in going in again.
Definitely too far for me; I complain if I have to carry half a watermelon from the store to my car in the parking lot.  :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

DGoguen

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »

there have been three deaths on Swan's Song that I know of, one where a guy placed a piton behind a loose block that crushed his leg

He was the son of former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop, happened in 1968 I think. Just to keep it on topic with the lost chalkbag.  Ha Ha

DLottmann

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »

I always think of Nazgul flying around when I think of that route.

LOL... I need to do this route soon... while it is still there...

I think I read of those fatalities in Yankee Rock & Ice? <- Great book BTW

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »

happened in 1968 I think. Just to keep it on topic with the lost chalkbag.  Ha Ha

You guys can't possibly remember what happened in 1968! (some are too young, the rest should not remember that far anyways) ;) Stop reading horror stories, Cannon is totally safe, you can't even lose a chalk bag there anymore  :)
-om

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 10:55:19 AM »

I can't believe that loose rock didn't cover the bag within seconds.....

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 07:36:20 AM »

I remember the first time I climbed on Cannon many years ago. Scrambling up the scree slope I vividly recall that it didn't take a genius to figure out where all the scree I was traversing came from.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 23 queries.