Author Topic: new climbing gym in Concord NH  (Read 1863 times)

Offline slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
new climbing gym in Concord NH
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:46:28 AM »
bailing is not failing!!!

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Re: new climbing gym in Concord NH
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »
Crap....still too far away. I need to build one myself.  :-\
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:48:23 AM »
Grammy there is not much route scrubbing in the winter so now you have a winter project. Hope the shoulder is better.
 Jim
bailing is not failing!!!

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
I wish Hilary and her enterprise the best of luck.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
Grammy there is not much route scrubbing in the winter so now you have a winter project. Hope the shoulder is better.
 Jim

LOL...gave you a +1 Jim!!!   ;D
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:12:29 AM »
if they really want to stand apart from other gyms they should have an indoor ice section.....you know.....for those hot summer days ;)
hahaha

-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline Climber57r

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
I have heard from a variant of people that Concord is closer for certain locations. In the winter at the local gym in town, there are climbers traveling up to an hour + to climb. I personally drive about 30-45min to get to a nicer gym and change it up. It seems in the summer the gym gets most of the business from families, parties, rain, etc anyhow. Man I remember there being one gym..well in my area 16 yrs back...and that was 30 minutes to get to (Mill City).
Good times. Good climbs. Get out there, get after it, and most of all enjoy it.

"A not neat knot, is a knot not needed"

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »
Mill City Rock Gym in Dracut? 
I had to reach WAY BACK in memory for that one! :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
Yep Mill City an oldie, anyone remember Yaggs Crag?, way laid back barn climbing with dogs, chicks and some pretty cool routes

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
Yagg's, just was climbing with the mighty Quinn today before the rain and we were talking about it.  The roof line of the barn was pretty cool overhanging into more overhanging for an old school gym.

Those were the days....

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 06:38:58 PM »
Yagg's, just was climbing with the mighty Quinn today before the rain and we were talking about it.  The roof line of the barn was pretty cool overhanging into more overhanging for an old school gym.

Those were the days....
You've got that right, Ward.   Life's a lot more complicated now (at least for me) and where has all that youthful power and recovery gone? :(

DLottmann

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 11:29:20 PM »

That was my start... 1994-95, used to get out of work at the EMS in Salem and head down there and climb till close... I was 16, and Mark, I think the owner, let me climb for $5 a day. They would blast Green Day and I still remember this juggy 5.8 with an overhang I loved... and the owner’s daughter would throw down and inspire me something fierce... I think it was an issue of R&I there that pointed me to Lakeview on Cannon and set me on my path to become a climbing guide...

Offline Climber57r

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »

That was my start... 1994-95, used to get out of work at the EMS in Salem and head down there and climb till close... I was 16, and Mark, I think the owner, let me climb for $5 a day. They would blast Green Day and I still remember this juggy 5.8 with an overhang I loved... and the owner’s daughter would throw down and inspire me something fierce... I think it was an issue of R&I there that pointed me to Lakeview on Cannon and set me on my path to become a climbing guide...

Right on...started climbing there about the same time. Must have crossed paths at some point. The 5.8 overhang I most remember was behind the entry slab and was definitely a route I was happy to achieve. Ah nothing like plywood walls and spring mattresses in the cave. Good times and great atmosphere and Mark def. did hook us up with entry fee's.
Good times. Good climbs. Get out there, get after it, and most of all enjoy it.

"A not neat knot, is a knot not needed"

DLottmann

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »

The 5.8 overhang I most remember was behind the entry slab and was definitely a route I was happy to achieve.

If my memory serves there were two overhangs on the main wall. This went up the left side of the right hand overhand and had a left-heel hook move (which made it cool in my book). Funny how I can remember details from a gym climb 19 years ago yet I forget moves from routes I did last year.

If we crossed paths I was a very long haired teenager who smelled like Marlboroughs... That reminds me, Mark allowed smoking in the gym to at the time... man times have changed.

DWT

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 08:41:22 PM »

The 5.8 overhang I most remember was behind the entry slab and was definitely a route I was happy to achieve.

If my memory serves there were two overhangs on the main wall. This went up the left side of the right hand overhand and had a left-heel hook move (which made it cool in my book). Funny how I can remember details from a gym climb 19 years ago yet I forget moves from routes I did last year.

If we crossed paths I was a very long haired teenager who smelled like Marlboroughs... That reminds me, Mark allowed smoking in the gym to at the time... man times have changed.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=smoking+climber+photos&hl=en&sa=X&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&rlz=1I7TSNP_enUS493&biw=1366&bih=641&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsfd&tbnid=t-fm1CHmUugjPM:&imgrefurl=http://www.myspace.com/woz46n2/photos/20482969&docid=JdaxEiOxssoEvM&itg=1&imgurl=http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/60/ff09a47c604b8546f0a4ec760b19196c/l.jpg&w=600&h=399&ei=3ycXUKaNC8H00gHFuoDICQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=174&vpy=231&dur=4418&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=122&ty=99&sig=102669506723367154570&page=1&tbnh=126&tbnw=187&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:97