NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coffee with a Ranger progam this summer  (Read 407 times)

AAC_Northeast

• NEClimbs Newbie
Coffee with a Ranger progam this summer
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »

The American Alpine Club, Access Fund, Rumney Climbers' Association, and the US Forest Service are hosting Free Coffee with a Ranger mornings at Rumney on July 21, August 18, and September 8. Come join representatives from all of these groups for some free java and learn about the area's management. You'll find answers to common questions such as who owns the crags, what conservation projects are proposed for the area, and how you can give back. Coffee will be served from 8:00-11:00 am, or until the urns run dry, at the main parking lot below the Meadows.

I hope to see some of you there!
Sarah Garlick
AAC Northeast Regional Coordinator

Bill

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • It's All Good, Just Climb!
Re: Coffee with a Ranger progam this summer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:58:45 PM »

Don't know if it is pertinent or not but I would urge those of you who are active Rumney climbers to take advantage of the opportunity for coffee with the Ranger.  This recommendation is based solely on one incident.  A number of years ago Shim recruited me and a number of others for a Saturday trails day with the woman Ranger at the time.  We worked like "rented mules" through the morning improving trails at the Parking Lot Wall and the Meadows.  We took a break for a great hamburger and hotdog feed by a climber from I believe the White River Junction area.  I forget his name but really a nice guy.  The plan was to go up and work on the trail to the Main Cliff in the afternoon.  Prompted by the cold rain the crowd melted away during the lunch break.  The 7 or 8 of us that remained were sort of looking at each other and perhaps thinking about calling it a day when the Ranger pulled a chainsaw out of the back of her pickup and started walking up the road.  Okay, we were committed.  We spent the rest of the afternoon carrying 80 to 100 pound pine logs up the trail to the work area where the Ranger was cutting them to size and we were using them to build steps up the steep bit up to the Main Cliff area.  We worked until we ran out of materials.  Those steps have been replaced now but stood the test of time for a number of years.  It was a great example of leadership and commitment on the part of a employee of the Forest Service that I reflect upon to this day.

Bill Neacy
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:01:15 PM by Bill »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 23 queries.