Author Topic: Sawtooth Range alpine climbs  (Read 407 times)

Offline Rime

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Sawtooth Range alpine climbs
« on: April 23, 2004, 06:23:02 am »
I'm trying to plan a trip for June and want to include some cragging and alpine climbing.  We went to Rocky Mt. National Park last summer and that will hard to top (Eldorado Canyon, Lumpy's Ridge, and alpine peak ascent).  We are trying to find a similar blend of climbing options for this year's trip.  I've climbed at both the Tetons and City of Rocks before and I was thinking of a Teton/City of Rocks/Sawtooth trip.  So far what I've found on the Sawtooth climbs seems a bit limited (Elephants Perch, Finger of Fate) but I haven't bought a guide book yet.  Anyone with any direct information?  Thanks!

Offline tlinehan

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Sawtooth Range alpine climbs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:30:48 am »
Hope this reply isn't too late for climbing purposes but...

Published route information for the Sawtooths is somewhat hard to come by. テつ The Lopez Idaho climbing guide is okay, but... would recommend, instead, that you check in with the folks at the Elephant's Perch - a gear shop in Ketchum. テつ 

http://www.elephantsperch.com/

They're very helpful. テつ We told them what we were interested in doing and where. テつ For a VERY modest fee they sent a map with trails and recommended campsites marked along with some line drawings of the climbing routes that we were interested in doing as well as photocopied pictures with routes marked.

FWIW, we were out there last August. テつ Had planned on doing Finger of Fate and Arrowhead, but... テつ ended up doing an easier route on Sevy and a couple of new lines (5.5 and 5.7?) above Hell Roaring that we sent to the folks at Elephants Perch (they maintain a loose-leaf binder of new/unpublished routes in the area).

Best...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:59:20 am by tlinehan »

Offline the_other_andy

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 12:21:28 am »
I have topos of Fine line, direct Beckey and Myopia. If any of these rtes are of interest give me your email.

Offline Rime

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 06:28:03 am »
Thanks for the replies.  They aren't too late - we will be going out there in late June.  Where/what is Sevy?  We'll be in Sun Valley before going up to the Stanley area so we'll definitely stop in the elephants perch for information.  It seems like there are enough route choices with good quality rock to keep us busy while we are there.  I'm really looking forward to the trip.  Thanks for all your help!!!  

Offline tlinehan

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 09:25:18 am »
Sevy is more-or-less between Finger of Fate and Arrowhead.  It's mostly class 4 scrambling - maybe one pitch where you'd feel the need to rope up.  Still it was probably the most solid "summit" that we were on while there (most everything is loose... VERY loose).  Good views of Arrowhead from there.