NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH Camping with my 6 Year Old. Suggestions?  (Read 468 times)

AEM

• NEClimbs Newbie
NH Camping with my 6 Year Old. Suggestions?
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to NH with my 6 year old daughter at the end of August.  I was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice campground in the Mt. Washington area that has good exploring, maybe a little TR or boulder potential in the area, and a low key atmosphere (no all night partying).  Would love to give her a taste of the White Mountains, but it's been a while since I have been up there and my trips have all been winter jaunts.  We will be camping mid-week, so hopefully availability should still be good.

Thanks for any input you might have!

AEM

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: NH Camping with my 6 Year Old. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »

assuming she can swim... the campnig along Dugway Road has easy hikes.. esp sundoam area and then you can get in the River.

AEM

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »

We were swimming in the Seneca rocks swimming hole 2 weekends ago! The 6 year old isn't swimming on her own yet, but a safe area to access the river would be great. I will look it up, thanks for the tip.

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:31:38 AM »

Covered Bridge Campground on the Kanc, has everything you want, nice mellow river swimming, sandy beach right under the bridge about 3 feet deep, bouldering/ roped climbs right near the campground and hiking trails all around, great for kids

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:27:17 AM »

Covered Bridge Campground on the Kanc, has everything you want, nice mellow river swimming, sandy beach right under the bridge about 3 feet deep, bouldering/ roped climbs right near the campground and hiking trails all around, great for kids

I second this, Covered Bridge sounds exactly what you are looking for. Look up the “Lost Horizon” climbing area in the routes section of this website. You can get to the Boulder Loop trail by easy bushwhacking for 2 minutes from the campground. Lots of great non-climbing things to do along the Kanc as well. I highly recommend Rocky Gorge with kids. Great little loop trail around a nice mountain pond. Might get some other ideas for kid stuff on my blog, www.adventurewithalex.com. There’s a trip report for some of the smaller short hikes in the area.

Erik N

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »

Dry River Campground in Crawford Notch State Park is a good location.  The camping is good with running water and showers and is mostly a low key hiking crowd.  You can top rope on elephants head at the top of the notch, take easy hikes to waterfalls, and play on the AMC Highland Center's new playground.  I just took my 2 daughters there and it felt like a vacation even though we only live 30 minutes away.

AEM

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »

Thanks for responding guys, really appreciated! I think that I left things a little too late, it seems like these campgrounds are almost fully booked.  I think that we are going to save a few bucks on gas and explore the Dacks instead. My 6 year old is the talkative one, so maybe 2 less hours in the car would be smarter thing anyway.  Hopefully I can get back up to the valley soon enough!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.