Author Topic: Playground at Woodchuck ???  (Read 341 times)

Offline climbingchimp

• NEClimbs Newbie
Playground at Woodchuck ???
« on: April 24, 2004, 07:31:24 pm »
Does anyone know where the Playground at Woodchuck is??? i've never heard of it before?  It sounds very nice--secluded.  8)  Anyone out there that has any info on how to find Woodchuck, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 07:34:08 pm by climbingchimp »

DLottmann

Re: Playground at Woodchuck ???
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 08:58:55 pm »
It is a cool place.  I have only been there once, but look forward to going back.  This approach is from Ed Webster's "Rock Climbs in the White Mountains 3rd Ed."  Pick up a copy if you haven't already.

"Drive west on Dugway Rd, and park at a small, dirt pull out on the right bordered by several small boulders, half a mile past the Dugway Picnic Area... at the clearcut take the left hand trail..."

The guidebook also gives directions if coming from the Kanc.

Offline climbingchimp

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 05:05:12 pm »
nice, thanks D.

Offline t-rad

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 11:05:38 am »
the two easiest ways are as follows...  go to the gully screaming yellow zonkers is in and follow it up to the top.  watch your step when wet.  playground is on top of cliff above gully.  the second is to zip to the top of woodchuck by going up the extreme left hand side of the cliff system.  this is a short bushwhack unless you can find a barely noticable trail in the same area.  best way to descend from the playground is to hike down the area last described.  it's a nice area to hang out at, but he routes are very small, 20ft at most.  a good place to bring beginners top-roping.  you might want to lead something like zanzibar on the far right side of woodchuck then walk along the top of the cliff to it's other end where the playground is.

-a