NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sketchy anchors on Lost Ledge  (Read 2726 times)

DLottmann

Re: Sketchy anchors on Lost Ledge
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »

In seriousness, all of the bolt controversy I've heard of involved adding new bolts to existing climbs not replacing manky old  stuff.

I think some of the concern is someone doing a hack job removing the old bolt. I have placed maybe 7 bolts in my life and never removed one. I would seek hands on instruction from some of the people around who know how to do so properly and leave zero scar or sign of the previous bolt.

Historically I'm sure "replaced" bolts where sometimes actually "moved" bolts to facilitate a easier clip. Can't think of any examples off the top of my head but I'm sure it happens, and would stir up some hornets around here.

As of the OP, I agree with the last few posts, talk directly to Rick or Brad. I'm sure they'd accommodation if you know what you're doing. Counter-help can't be depended on for what is obviously a management type question, regardless of the store you are in.

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 07:09:43 AM »

I'm not sure two bolts need to be donated to rebolt "Carpet Slabber". I'de just by them. If you had a whole area that needed repair that's a different issue.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »

Looks like the old "insider group" is back.... BITD when you had to beg to see the new route "ego book"  and no, I'm not kidding

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 06:02:03 AM »

I don't rember saying that anyone could borrow the MRS drill, but perhaps I implied it. You cannot borrow their drill. Regardless I spoke to Brad yesterday and we were sure you can get reimbursed for replacement bolts.

It is always preferred to pull the old bolt and use the original hole or pound the old stud in and cover it with rock dust and epoxy. Then drill a new hole no more than a hand width away, rock permitting. The epoxy thing is a bit of an art that Kurt Winkler showed me 15 years ago.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »

The local MRS has a drill and cache of bolts specifically for the purpose of addressing bolt and anchor replacement. If this is something that you are interested in helping with you should contact Rick Wilcox at International Mountain Equipment.

Al

No big deal though - I made a mistake too once!
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »

Dman, 3 wogs at band M is a good example of a retro gone wrong.  new bolt plaements are weird.
Jon Howard

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »

oh well. nothing ever disappears from the interweb! they only let "approved personages" use the drill. I used to qualify...

The local MRS has a drill and cache of bolts specifically for the purpose of addressing bolt and anchor replacement. If this is something that you are interested in helping with you should contact Rick Wilcox at International Mountain Equipment.

Al

No big deal though - I made a mistake too once!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 03:27:47 PM »

As was previously stated, go see Rick.
Although it's been 20+ years ago, I replaced the bolts on Last Unicorn, Science Friction Wall, Revolt of the Dike Brigade, the last pitch of Children's Crusade, Robinson Caruso, among others. As long as it was clear to Rick what it is you intend to do, I'm betting you'll be allowed to use the drill.

Eventually though, I bought my own Hilti. ;D

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 07:48:41 PM »

:if you drill a new hole, go at least 10 bolt diameters from the old one.  4" for a 3/8"

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »

Right John.  If one is replacing a bolt that was put in badly, I have never understood the absolute need to put it in the exact same spot if it was a bad one. I would lean towards keeping it near if possible, but I don't understand the point of repeating a mistake. If there is going to be a bolt in the rock, it should be useful.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 05:57:06 PM »

When I took that huge  mess of dog chain (you could see it from the bike path) off of the Eaglet I put the new Fixe rings in about the same spot that the previous rappel point was. I considered moveing it but I would have had to put the bolts really high to facilitate pulling and keep the weight off that edge. I saw some fracture lines up there that I did not like so I ended up putting the new bolts where they are which replicates the origional rap without all that chain. I chopped several old bolts and left the two best ones  that are on top of the pedastel as belay anchors. It is a bit exciteing getting a noob into that rapell but completly doable. I have done it many times.  The new rings are in the same place as the old rings just cleaner and not all that messy chain.  I see that the 2 old bolts that I left up top have sprouted quick links that orient for a rap off the east side. I assume that guides did this? Most likly they prefer to take their chances getting their clients down on the old bolts VS teaching them how to get into the exciteing rap off the south face on the new bolts?
   My point is that you can't please everyone so you just have to do the best that you can when replaceing anchors and not worry too much about the  naysayers.

DLottmann

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »

... I see that the 2 old bolts that I left up top have sprouted quick links that orient for a rap off the east side. I assume that guides did this? Most likly they prefer to take their chances getting their clients down on the old bolts VS teaching them how to get into the exciteing rap off the south face on the new bolts?...

1st, thanks for fixing that up, it was a mess and is much nicer now.

2nd, I doubt it. I don't think the Eaglet get's "guided" that often, and it's not that awkward... since the easiest line to the top is 5.7 I could easily see a recreational climber not liking rigging that rappel and choosing to dump some quick-links... or maybe not even seeing that anchor. It isn't visible from above so if it's your first time there, and you came up West Chimney... just saying... guessing guides put those there is a far reach IMO....

And most of us love teaching people how to handle weird situations like that...

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »

I sent Joe Lentini an email about replacing these bolts, he is an acquaintance through my ex-wife. His reply:

"Dan the best bet is to get one of the MRS climbing team members to go out and replace them with you."

So, I guess I'll talk to the people at IME sometime and go from there. :)

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »

Dan; someone did do some work on carpet slabber. The two bolts are unchanged but someone did replace one anchor and added quicklinks. A bit of an improvement.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »

I've left screw links both times I've been climbing up there.  As I recall, the Carpet Slabber route with the old bolts had both an older and a newer top anchor.  I think the newer anchor was a bit higher than the old one, I left 2 screw links on it to even it up with the single link on the old one.

The other route I've left screw links on is the one that is to the left of 4 Holes, Girls Prefer Batteries maybe?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 24 queries.