General > Beginners Area

How do you lower a second from a reverso in a controlled manner?

(1/5) > >>

DWT:
On page 113 of ANAM 2012 there is a report.  The leader could have lowered the second in a controlled manner and avoided the accident.  I recently experienced the same problem(no accident in  my case). What is the correct technique for lowering a second off the reverso? munter hitch on the brake strand?

strandman:
I didn't see the report but, always lower through a bomber bit of the belay. I make it a habit to do this NOT direct off me.

sneoh:

--- Quote from: strandman on September 08, 2012, 12:44:27 PM ---... always lower through a bomber bit of the belay.

--- End quote ---
And not off me.  Same here; much better control especially if the person being lowered weighs quite a bit and/or skinny rope is in use.

wivanoff:

--- Quote from: DWT on September 08, 2012, 10:23:32 AM ---On page 113 of ANAM 2012 there is a report.  The leader could have lowered the second in a controlled manner and avoided the accident.  I recently experienced the same problem(no accident in  my case). What is the correct technique for lowering a second off the reverso? munter hitch on the brake strand?

--- End quote ---

Not having read the report, I assume you mean in "guide mode". I use an ATC-guide (basically the same as a Reverso, right?) and either add a Munter in the brake strand or redirect the brake strand behind the device. I also "unlock" the device with a nut tool as a prybar - seems to give a bit more control. Usually, the Munter really doesn't do anything but I (and the person I'm lowering) kind of like having that backup.

Suggest practicing in a safe environment.

strandman:
I tend to "thumb up" the device to keep it from locking, also bring the brake hand over my hip. Of course i also learned the hip belay so.... it's habit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version