Author Topic: Smaller kids belaying adults (multi-pitch)  (Read 3589 times)

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
Re: Smaller kids belaying adults (multi-pitch)
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 11:41:14 PM »
By the way, pressure is force per unit area.  I think you meant 50 pounds of force, not pressure, Champ.
Still, 50 pounds of force is lot for an 8 year old to exert, for example.  Just saying.

Just right. It is the grip. Depending on the device, the grip you need to stop a fall change. They test a half munter hitch I think, a figure eight and a stich plate.

For the NO, we often have the impression that some people insult us. don't take it personally, but understand that it can be insulting when you trained years to be safe and that a young 5.11 climber of the new generation critics you because you climb lower level and in more difficult terrain, when mistake is not catch by a bolt. To disagree with an other mentality is some thing, to try to convinct people that your mentality is the best by insulting people it is not fun. not fun at all.

DLottmann

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 11:47:33 PM »
By the way, pressure is force per unit area.  I think you meant 50 pounds of force, not pressure, Champ.
Still, 50 pounds of force is lot for an 8 year old to exert, for example.  Just saying.

Just right. It is the grip. Depending on the device, the grip you need to stop a fall change. They test a half munter hitch I think, a figure eight and a stich plate.

For the NO, we often have the impression that some people insult us. don't take it personally, but understand that it can be insulting when you trained years to be safe and that a young 5.11 climber of the new generation critics you because you climb lower level and in more difficult terrain, when mistake is not catch by a bolt. To disagree with an other mentality is some thing, to try to convinct people that your mentality is the best by insulting people it is not fun. not fun at all.

It’s no longer an ESL thing for me. Champ, you drink to much. “For the NO”.... someone tell me what that is...and “half munter”... I’ve been doing this awhile and never heard of that... and “catch by a bolt”.... I’ve been caught by belayer’s a few times but never by a bolt... If you think a bolt is catching you then that is not fun... not fun at all.

Offline andyposter76

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 09:55:49 PM »
Just saying.... This discussion ended up being about a lot of adult concepts and x factors. The simple fact is that there are a lot of guides here talking about this, but quite often the people doing these things have no business showing their adult friends how to belay them, much less their children. All too often I see epics happening in situations where they should never have occurred. No matter now good you are as a climber, if you are younger than 12 years old, you get bored and antsy. You get hungry, cranky, tired and you don't problem solve like an adult. Therefore, if you are being taken up a long multi pitch route, there should be an adult with you at belays to make sure you aren't dehydrated, etc.  Sure, young kids send 5.10+ and above. But how many of them are doing so on the direct finish to Children's Crusade or The Last Unicorn?