NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Just so you all know... I am going to change the default theme for the site to a more modern "curve" theme. It will be the one everyone uses from now on. It will make things a whole lot easier for me to maintain.

THNX

the management

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horseshoe Canyon Ranch  (Read 496 times)

DWT

Horseshoe Canyon Ranch
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »

Has anyone been to Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Arkansas?  Beta? climbs, food, camping, local climbing junkies
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:39:09 PM by DWT »

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Horseshoe Canyon Ranch
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »

Derek I am not going to do all of the work for you but here is a good start for you. :P

http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/Rock-Climbing/
bailing is not failing!!!

Whitey

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:42:11 PM »

I stopped in there for a day in 2003 and found it to be a good sport crag in spite of the $5.00 charge to climb. We stayed in the Buffalo river campground, a cool place on the river with a rather awesome looking crag across the water. Arkansas the state is hard to get a handle on, is it midwest? southern? Maybe a good place for some old fart climber like me to retire. 

DWT

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »

I had good time at the Ranch.  It's Arkansas's version of Rumney with twice the bolts.  The approaches were all mellow.  The rock was cool... even at 11b you're never more than a body length from a huge jug. ;D.   The climbers at the Ranch were all friendly, even to a Yankee.  I'd go back.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »

Thanks for the mini trip report.
My friends who will be heading down in 3 weeks time will be glad then.
But ... about "Rumney with twice the bolts.", it must be close to an impossibility (:), unless the routes are twice as tall (which I do not think there are).

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

nuts

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »

I have climbed extensively in Arkansas, but not at Horshoe which can be crowded and does not reflect climbing in Arkansas as a whole.  A trip to Arkansas without climbing at Sam's Throne would be like a trip to NH without visiting Cathedral.  Sam's also has a bunch of surrounding areas, bluff lines that go on for miles and miles.

Mt. Magazine is a worthwhile visit, the highest point in the state.  Arkansas' stiffest grades are found here.  Jamestown is a great backwoodsy sport crag not to be missed, especially at the more moderate range.

Sam's, the Mag, Jamestown all have free camping.  Jamestown has 3 a.m. redneck entertainment, that's free too.  Bring food to any of these areas, resupply isn't what we're used to in the northeast.   Bring a rack to a number 4, the trad is awesome and sometimes a wide piece can help.  PM me win questions.

The new guidebook is awesome and accurate and should be acquired. 
Chris Magness

nuts

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:55:25 PM »

The guidebook I was referring to is the Cole Fennel book, which was released in 2010 and is already out of print because routes are going up so damn fast.  Anyway, you should be able to find it somewhere.
Chris Magness

DWT

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »

The guidebook I was referring to is the Cole Fennel book, which was released in 2010 and is already out of print because routes are going up so damn fast.  Anyway, you should be able to find it somewhere.

I have a copy of the new Cole Fennel Book if anybody wants to borrow it. 

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:03:54 PM by DWT »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 23 queries.