Poll

Have you read Freedom Of The Hills?

Heck No! Do I look like some kind of Tech weini geek?
3 (7.5%)
Champ Told me everything I need to Know...
10 (25%)
Yes. It is my Bible.
4 (10%)
Yes. Interesting but I do not agree with everything in there.
14 (35%)
Bastards!
9 (22.5%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: October 24, 2012, 09:13:02 PM

Author Topic: Freedom of the Hills. have you read it?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline wivanoff

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Freedom of the Hills. have you read it?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »
Nope.
But I have read "Fundamentals of Rock Climbing" by the MIT Outing Club. Loved the little stick figure drawings. ;)

DLottmann

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »
I picked it up used many years ago. I remember how happy I was to find it in a used bookstore for a price that I could afford. I probably read it cover to cover 20 times over, before the days of easy Internet access. I'd flip to the parts on glaciar travel and day dream about being in some far away remote landscape employing all these crazy tactics. Flipping through the pages made me want to get out and see crevasses, avalanches, glaciers, and moats. Things that growing up in New England a kid never gets to play on or see.

FOH, was and is not a bible, no book was/is. I took the info from it and went to the cliffs and saw what everyone else was doing. Then augmented by other books and a multitude of partners that's how I learned.

So, yeah I have a soft spot in my heart for FOH. For all those that never had the chance to crack it open while still new and foolish to the sport to dream of a far away lands I feel sorry for you.

Well said man, +1

Offline SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »
Freedom of the Hills is what got me into climbing.

I picked it up one day and the content sparked my interest, and I wanted to know more.

Offline slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 06:52:45 PM »
Yeah I own a copy somewhere probably havent looked at it for 15 years or more.
bailing is not failing!!!

DLottmann

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 07:53:10 PM »
Pretty sure this thread is going to sell a few copies :)

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »
Flipping through the pages made me want to get out and see crevasses, avalanches, glaciers, and moats. Things that growing up in New England a kid never gets to play on or see.

FOH, was and is not a bible, no book was/is. I took the info from it and went to the cliffs and saw what everyone else was doing. Then augmented by other books and a multitude of partners that's how I learned.

Mt washington in snow storm for the same reason. Althought the term bible is not worth as it an be confused with the holy bible. FOH is nott going to savee your life. I think that they want to say a reference book which present mostly all possibility without any judgement, but serious rational analysis.   

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »
Flipping through the pages made me want to get out and see crevasses, avalanches, glaciers, and moats.

I just hope that, if people want to go in Mt washington in a snow storm (hight avalanches danger for some people), they will train a little before to go!!!

Pinacles with wind of 70 miles per hours are amasing...thaught a strong knowledge can save your life.