NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Gunks trip  (Read 3039 times)

Flotsam

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Gunks trip
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »

The Alpinist has a opinion sort of piece about what a circus and how expensive it is.

I'd have to say I can't believe they stick it to you at 17 bucks a day for access.  At least a climbing gym has bathrooms that they paid for not the ACCESS FUND.

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 05:05:30 PM »

Yeah I can't believe the Access Fund paid for that outhouse on the carriage road when the preserve is raking in the cash.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »

The Alpinist has a opinion sort of piece about what a circus and how expensive it is.

I'd have to say I can't believe they stick it to you at 17 bucks a day for access.  At least a climbing gym has bathrooms that they paid for not the ACCESS FUND.

I need to find that piece... is it online?

It grinds my gears that they charge more for climber access than all other users... such BS.... glad I live in NH....

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »

to pile on a bit.  apparently a new campground got approved in Gardiner so MUA  and Slime will close once that opens..  aka no more free camping at the gunks..   which i considered part of the fee.. 
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »

A friend of mine once asked me to use beuatiful in a sentence twice.. i think it applies here

"beautiful,,fucking beautiful"

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »

While I appreciate people complaining about day fee @ the Gunks, it IS a PRIVATE TRUST property of over 5000 acres within 2 hours drive of somewhere north of 15 million people!! I pay my annual membership of around $100 (when I first bought one in 1969 it was probably about $25--the daily fee then was less than $3.00) and consider it money well spent to preserve the land for the use of all. The cost probably keeps the crowds down somewhat--that's a good thing. On good weather weekends in the spring and fall, one often has to take a number (speaking figuratively) to climb many of the 3 star routes up to about 5.10. Since, as a guide, I have certainly contributed to the increased numbers of climbers over the past 4 decades, I  hesitate to complain about the cost or the crowds. I buy my annual pass and climb there during the work week as much as possible-- In 2012 I haven't amortized my pass in numbers of days climbed at the Gunks-- I've spent too more of my available days in NH and farther afield. However I will be renewing it this month as a contribution to help keep one of the best climbing sites on the East Coast available to us all. :-*

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »

right on Jeff...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »

I don't disagree Jeff, but it is tough for kids.  Heck, we used to drive there from Rhode Island and sneak in when the fee was like $2.50, because we frankly couldn't afford it.

I remember one weekend trip when I was 17 I called everyone and said that I only had 10 bucks and just enough food for myself, so bring money and food please!  When I picked my brother up he had five dollars he'd begged off our Dad, and no food.  When I picked up Gary P. he got in the back seat and said straight out: "NO Money, and NO food!"  We went anyway, but we didn't have any money for the fee that was sure!   

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:16:10 PM by eyebolter »

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »

If i mention the last time i actually paid to climb down there, you guys would probably get all preachy.
In any case i don't think folks are complaining all that much about having to pay, it's the amount that gets people upset.
Climbers pay more than hikers, bike riders, and monkey spankers. Why do they screw the climbers? Because they can.
And that's after climbers, through the access fund, (over)paid for that fancy outhouse.   

danf

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »

Climbers pay more than hikers, bike riders, and monkey spankers. Why do they screw the climbers? Because they can.
In terms of public land (state and federal) hunters and fishermen pay the lions share.  Climbers, hikers, bike riders, birders, etc are a mere drop in the bucket.  I realize the discussion is about the Gunks and it is not true public land, but I did want to make the point.

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2012, 10:38:24 AM »

In terms of public land (state and federal) hunters and fishermen pay the lions share.  Climbers, hikers, bike riders, birders, etc are a mere drop in the bucket.  I realize the discussion is about the Gunks and it is not true public land, but I did want to make the point.
But in regards to public land (state/federal) are hunters and fisherman hopefully walking away with something? Perhaps that is the reasoning for their higher fees? I agree with the fact that it isn't fair that the climbers pay more than people participating in other forms of recreation. I don't have a problem with paying for fee use areas but your recreational preference shouldn't determine price.... unless the price difference is being allocated to anchor replacement and climber related maintenance.

-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »

Am i correct in assuming that a big chunk of the Gunks fees go to insurance ????

It sure doesn't seem to be for anchors and shitters

danf

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »

But in regards to public land (state/federal) are hunters and fisherman hopefully walking away with something?
The bulk of the monies paid by hunters and fishermen are in the form of taxes that are built into the cost of every gun, box of ammo, piece of camo clothing, fishing rod and lure.  Look up the Pittman-Robinson Act (and the sister act a few years later for the fishing gear that I don't remember the name of).  On top of that are license fees and the occasional access fee for state/federal land.  I don't know if climbing gear falls into either of those acts, but I guarantee that even if it does, it's a very small percentage compared to just the gun purchases in the last year (several million guns with what I would assume to be an average price of $200-300 or more)...

Ok, back to the Gunks fee discussion!

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »

Does that mean I can bring my 12to the Gunks ??? THAT could be fun

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »

Interesting points danf, unfortunately not particularly applicable to the subject at hand.  As far as i know there is no hunting or fishing in Mohunk.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.