NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rescuers braved torrential rains, 80 mph winds to get hiker  (Read 1991 times)

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Rescuers braved torrential rains, 80 mph winds to get hiker
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »

Jeesh, you guys have me concerned. Is hip replacement surgery like an "occupational hazard" for climbers,
or just for climbers who put in a lot of bolts?

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »

Jeesh, you guys have me concerned. Is hip replacement surgery like an "occupational hazard" for climbers,

Champ told me it was only if you bolted on rappel  :)

On a serious note. I really doubt climbers are at more risk to need a replacement. Most non traumatic replacements are just due to arthritis...everyone is prone to that.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »

Most non traumatic replacements are just due to arthritis...everyone is prone to that.
This is indeed the case with the people I know who had replacement hips put in.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »

His hip didn't stop Ted from leading the dihedral of Flying Hawian for the Rumney guidebook cover shot. That was some time after his carry out (or maybe he was just hoping to get some more morphine)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:58:00 AM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »

I think it is just people who put bolts in on the lead and tend to take huge whippers.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 10:36:13 PM »

i recall it happened on dave quinn's .11 at the asylum.  we had all done the route (i think it was ted, allen catabriga, den dana and myself.)  the crux involves some really painful stemming.  i found the moves uncomfortable, and i was pretty flexible at the time.

unfortunately, ted decided he wanted to do it again... 

we administered some "first aid" to help with the pain, which was considerable.  the "fast squad" got there pretty quickly, but it took a little time for the emt with the real drugs to arrive.  once ted got the shot, he was way blissed.

one of the climbers helping carry the litter was a young women with a halo of curly golden hair.  ted looked at her, then rolled his head toward me and slurred, "she's like an angel..."

it sounds like stemming and replacement hips aren't the way to go.
ed
pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »

I think it is just people who put bolts in on the lead and tend to take huge whippers.

HA!  The Doc asked if I had experienced any trauma ??? I didn't really know how to respond.  THEN he looked at some ankle xrays... that's a whole 'nother story... "when was the last time you fractured this ankle?"  ... Don't even look at the other one.  :-\

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 12:44:55 PM »

Replacement ankle too?  Two for the price of one! 
While they have you under, might as well get to everything.  Want a replacement knee?  Sure, throw that in too!! :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »

The ankle is something I can't even think about... it's so complicated in the foot... rehab must be really bad.   Knees are holding up ok in spite of several scopes. A neighbor of mine had both shoulders done recently at age 71.... seems fine

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »

The ankle is something I can't even think about... it's so complicated in the foot... rehab must be really bad.   Knees are holding up ok in spite of several scopes. A neighbor of mine had both shoulders done recently at age 71.... seems fine

The last (3rd time's NOT a charm) time I did my right ankle I did a lot of research into replacements.  Had to give up running and even any serious hiking leaves it pretty sore.  Can't push off or jump - not that I ever could.  Anyway that was ~8 years ago and the artificial ankle technology just wasn't viable then.  Don't know if it has improved since then.  All the docs just recommended having it fused.  That will truly be a last resort for me.  So I hobble around.  Still not the limiting factor for the most part as far as climbing goes.

The bionic tendons in the left knee and right shoulder are holding up so far - but neither is even a year old.

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 06:20:49 PM »

The last (3rd time's NOT a charm) time I did my right ankle I did a lot of research into replacements.  Had to give up running and even any serious hiking leaves it pretty sore.  Can't push off or jump - not that I ever could.  Anyway that was ~8 years ago and the artificial ankle technology just wasn't viable then.  Don't know if it has improved since then.  All the docs just recommended having it fused.  That will truly be a last resort for me.  So I hobble around.  Still not the limiting factor for the most part as far as climbing goes.

I have the same problem from an ankle I exploded in a fall in Huntington's when I was 29.  Fortunately it doesn't bother me much except when I play basketball (not any longer) and in a long hike, especially with a side slope.  I suck on dynos off the left foot, but I can live with that.  All original parts still (despite the number of rap bolts placed) and hoping to keep them all.

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 07:22:40 AM »

Guys you really need to stretch more, do yoga, core workouts and take other preventative measures. I broke both ankles (2 months apart) and have had my knee scoped twice.  Since I started taking preventative measures my body feels better and works better. I know Strand is going to comment on this in some way but really, it does make a difference as we get older (much older for some of us.)

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 09:02:15 AM »

+1 Yoga.

Having all those young chicks bending over and stretching in front of you keeps your boner exercised into your golden years.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »

I think that Jim Gagne's partner Michelle had an ankle replacement several years ago. I haven't heard how it went. I would imagine that the rehab is totally key. my father in-law had an ankle fusion about 18 months ago. he was almost unable to walk around and had enough pain that he was unable to sleep without painkillers. now he can walk, ride his bike and do most of what he wants to do and it's pretty much pain free. I think he's 73 this year.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »

The problem - at least one problem - with an ankle fusion is that it shifts the stress to the other lower body joints of both legs.  Depending on what shape they are in and how much longer you live (sorry to be blunt but that's part of the equation) that might/might not be an issue.  Depending on what gets fused you probably won't be able to run any where near normal and won't have the flexibility to push off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 23 queries.