Author Topic: Tumbledown Dick, Bethel area- question  (Read 734 times)

Online danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Tumbledown Dick, Bethel area- question
« on: October 03, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
Anyone been up there?  I think we're going to try to hit it this weekend since we'll be in Bethel for a wedding on Sunday.  Looking at the more moderate routes [5.5-5.8] since we're not quite the climbers that some of you are... Wondering about the ability to top rope since trad is still slightly over the horizon for us as well.  How easy, in general is it to set up an anchor?  Got plenty of webbing and a few smaller pieces of pro but no cams...

Offline Maxsuffering

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Tumbledown Dick, Bethel area- question
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:01:34 AM »
Was just there last week, neat place, some of the routes could use a little more traffic to clean up. With inclusion in the new guidebook it probably won't take long.

To your question: walking around to the top of some cliffs should be easy (the forehead and dorsal fin in particular) and tree anchors are plentiful. Long webbing will probably come in handy for getting the anchor extended over the cliff edge.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
It could be wet and definitely dirty up there due the 7 days of wet weather and overcast skies up here. FYI:  the paths are obscure but is small enough that pretty much anyone can navigate around the various cliff bands. The rock is schist-like with shallow groves, marginal gear and plenty of vegitation!  ;)

not a huge fan of Tumble Down, but is a fun visit if you are going to be in the area...probably a worthwhile trip.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »
THE worst bugs I have ever encountered.. ever.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »
THE worst bugs I have ever encountered.. ever.

YES!!!!!
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Online danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
Thanks for the beta, though at this point I doubt we'll do any climbing.  I live in Effingham, so I know how wet the last week has been.  I guess I was just a bit optimistic at this point last night!  Regardless, we'll still probably stop in and take a look around for future reference.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
Thanks for the beta, though at this point I doubt we'll do any climbing.  I live in Effingham, so I know how wet the last week has been.  I guess I was just a bit optimistic at this point last night!  Regardless, we'll still probably stop in and take a look around for future reference.

Some great climbs near the dorsal fin as well as a couple of interesting trad routes (thin air) and a couple other moderates on the upper tier (right side). Definitely worth a look around. The weather has just sucked for climbing!  :-\

Offline pbgill

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
...With inclusion in the new guidebook it probably won't take long...

New guidebook? Available?

DLottmann

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
...With inclusion in the new guidebook it probably won't take long...

New guidebook? Available?

Its advertised on the homepage of this very website! EDIT: It was... here's the official website:

http://www.northconwayrockclimbs.com/

Many copies in-stock at N. Conway EMS, and probably at IME too!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:37:32 PM by DMan »

Online danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »
Yep, got mine back in May when IME was the only one that had them.  Last time I was at Ragged Mountain there were a few too, I believe.