NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tour of the South  (Read 458 times)

garyk

• NEClimbs Newbie
Tour of the South
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »

Sandy and I recently returned from a road trip to Linville Gorge in North Carolina. Beautiful location in the Pisgah National Forest. The first day we went into The Amphitheater. We hired a local guide who brought us in via an unobvious trail through the rhododendron forest off of the Mountains to Sea trail. We descended to the base of the Mummy buttress and climbed "The Daddy", six pitches of excellent climbing. Good rock with great position over the gorge and exciting exposure. We rapped off down the back of the buttress, and worked along a ledge system to gain "The Prow", four more pitches of fun.

We had several rain days, but then we were able to climb some more. We went to the Table Rock area on our own midweek. We climbed "The Cave Route" and "My Route", and climbed "Jim Dandy" the following day.

Definitely worth a visit especially if you like getting a little further off the beaten path as we do.

On the return trip, we stopped at Seneca Rocks,WV. What a cool formation! It is a giant fin of rock with climbing on both sides, and a top that is two feet wide. We climbed the "Old Man's Route" on the south west face. Fun climbing, very open exposure and a scary summit. Tricky climbing because the rock is highly fractured and requires good study of placements. Pay attention and have fun.

We also brought our road bikes and cycled the Grandfather Mountain-Linn Cove Viaduct section of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We are looking forward to getting back up North, aiming for White Ledge and North Bald Cap.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Tour of the South
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:44:51 PM »

great Report. I am particularly interested 'cause I'm driving south all the way to Georgia in mid-October.  I'm thinking in about doing some climbing and riding on the way to & back. what guide did you use in Linville? I am going to bring a bike but I'm torn between the road or mountain.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »

Love that place! I was there two years ago over Columbus Day weekend....took an extra day off of work for travel and had a blast. Wish that I could have stayed a week or two. Thanks for the Trip Report, psyched you got out there!
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

garyk

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »

The guide book is " Selected Climbs in North Carolina" by Yon Lambert and Harrison Shull, updated version , a Mountaineers publication.
Our guide was arranged through Granite Arches ( climb@granitearches.com) ph. 423-413-1432.
The guide's name is Derek DeBruin, who can be reached directly at dmdebruin@gmail.com . He was a great guide, and he is well versed in the local routes, formations, and flora that you will encounter en route to the climbs.

You are on your own for bike choice. The Linville area is either up or down, not a lot of flat road. The mountain biking looks like home, roots,rocks,etc.

Definitely a must climb if you are in the area. Good luck on your road trip.

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:19:06 PM »

Nice Gary! About 10 years ago I made a brief rainy stop in Linville for a short 5.8 climb, something Totem Bear? We headed over to Stone Mt, NC after that, and hit up Seneca and climbed an outrageous 3 pitch 5.7.

When you head north hit me up again, would love to get out with you & Sandy. Have you looked at Endeavor on White's Ledge, should be right up your alley! It's an excellent place to climb this time of year...

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »

Love that place! I was there two years ago over Columbus Day weekend....took an extra day off of work for travel and had a blast. Wish that I could have stayed a week or two. Thanks for the Trip Report, psyched you got out there!
Avoid nrg on bridge weekend for sure !! Nc has so much stuff... all types of climbing. Rocktown if GA is good anf of course TN has T Wall

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 08:03:38 AM »

Seneca is AMAZEING.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 24 queries.