Author Topic: Longstack Precipice  (Read 3575 times)

Offline nuts

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Longstack Precipice
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »
For those of you who are unaware, as a good cool weather alternative, newly developed Mt. Longstack hosts a myriad of good climbing with a warm southern exposure and views of Knights Pond and Lake Winni.  Over 50 routes have been put up here in the last 12 months.

The other New Durham areas are also deserving of attention.
Chris Magness

Offline nuts

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Longstack Precipice
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:22:26 PM »
I should note that MP has nearly a complete route listing under the New Durham area and there is a small print guide floating around.  Perhaps Al can import the routes?
Chris Magness

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »
Where can the print guide be found?

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:25:04 PM »
Them Chinos boys are pretty active..... I wonder where they are now ????? Is it 600' and a 3-4 hour approach ?   That's what I thought.   ???

DWT

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »
It's good stuff.

Offline J Dickson

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 04:48:02 PM »
longstack is well worth going to. people never climbed there because it was so dirty. With some hard work an a love for FAs It turned out to be one of the best cliffs in the southern part of the state. The Chinos mtn Club Are a bunch of climbers from the alton new durham area that love to put new lines up. We the Chinos have done over 250 new lines in the state an still counting. As of lately the Chinos have been putting new lines on white ledge in albany, So get out an climb them.
   :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:56:54 PM by J Dickson »

Offline Chinos

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:31:07 AM »
I started a guide for the area in 2008 when major development started. Many editions are floating around. I am currently adding some more obscure climbing areas around the whites. I hope the book will be finished and printed over the winter and in stores. I try and post all new lines on Mountain Project. This is the best way to view the climbing in the New Durham Area.

DWT

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
longstack is well worth going to.

Longstack is definitely worth going to.  I'd say Strychnine and The Arete are must do's for any outing at Longstack.  Kudos to the Chinos Boys for all their hard work.  The place looks and climbs great. 8)

Offline J Dickson

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 07:31:17 PM »
Awesome to see people out climbing at long stack. The other areas are just as good but not as tall.  It seems like it was a busy weekend out there.

Offline Chinos

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »
Al i have all of the climbs in the new durham area documented. if you are interested in adding the info let me know. it will be easy to send it your way!
-Jonathan-

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 08:48:15 PM »
Good God this place is a blast! every route i got on was amazing!!! Particularly fond of Trifecta and Velvet Underground. Can't wait to get back and get on Layback, The Arete ....and I keep gawking at Lost Heroes....that thing looks pissa!!!! 8)
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 07:49:44 AM »
This place will become very popular; especially for the beginning trad climber; since there are many intermediate grade routes.

Many of the routes remind me of the Gunks, even thou it is granite. The "Chino" gang worked hard on developing this area, and others, and they were smart in taking advantage of an opportunity, which will not come again.

The climbing is kind of unique, for N.H. and the cliff faces the afternoon sun, which is great for colder days.
The hike up will get you warmed up on a cold day.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 09:26:03 AM »
Don't give those guys any Gunks ideas, they'll start charging $$$   :)

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »
I thought it felt a little "Gunky" to SA. Definitely gonna be a popular Southern NH crag . Great job CHINOS crew!!!
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

DWT

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 06:48:47 AM »
It was cold as hell out there today, but I finally managed to check out this crag.  Pretty impressive, really, the trail work, cleaning, and bolting.  The cliff is huge!  The bolts are well placed and definitely not "sporty."  In fact, most of the routes have decent gear, albeit there are a lot of horizontals, most protectable with cams.  Very atypical features for granite, but fun fun fun moves.

The three routes we got on were all stellar.  So judging from the MP database, the Chinos are Garlough, Dickson, Corbett, Tetherly, and Magness?  They all seem to have the lions share of FAs?

EDGE(Loran) too.  No? 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:51:00 AM by DWT »