NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: firewood  (Read 663 times)

mendonza

• NEClimbs Junior Member
    • mattmendonza.com
firewood
« on: October 29, 2012, 01:34:50 AM »

Just moved into the area, and google is giving me no help. I guess these local businesses don't have websites?

Does anyone have a reliable source for seasoned firewood? What is a reasonable price for a cord in the area?

Thanks,
Matt

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: firewood
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:26:53 AM »

Look in the classifieds in the Conway Sun. I have bought from Western Maine Timber the past several years, but I always buy in May so I get it green.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »

Western Maine just delivered my two cords of dry a few minutes ago... $250/cord... they were behind on deliverys so expect a 1-2 week wait for it.

David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »

Is that firewood from another state? I thought that NH had a restiction on out of state wood due to insect infestation.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
NH to impose strict firewood quarantine
CONCORD, N.H. —The State of New Hampshire will implement a quarantine of out-of-state firewood
starting July 18 to control the spread of invasive forest pests.
“Invasive pests of trees are often spread through the transportation of firewood, which can be infested
with insects, even if there is no visible evidence” said New Hampshire State Entomologist Piera Siegert.
“We’re trying to reduce the risk to our native trees by initiating a quarantine of firewood.”
New Hampshire Forest Entomologist Kyle Lombard agreed.
“It’s surprising how much and how far people are willing to transport firewood. We surveyed firewood
use at campgrounds and found that 40 percent of the out-of state campers brought it from home. Many
of those folks were from as far away as Florida, North Carolina, and California. We have seen that every
stick of firewood taken from these campers had insects, to the tune of about 30 per piece.”
A joint state-federal regulation implemented two years ago restricted firewood movement on state
reservation lands and national forest lands within New Hampshire, including their respective
campgrounds.
The new quarantine expands upon these earlier restrictions to prohibit out-of-state firewood movement
to all lands in New Hampshire. Under the new regulations, only approved heat-treated firewood or
firewood transported with a compliance agreement may enter New Hampshire.
“Treated firewood,” or firewood certified to have been heated to 160 degrees Fahrenheit (71 degrees
Celsius) for 75 minutes, is exempt from the exterior firewood quarantine. This is because the treatment
kills the insects and diseases within the wood. All treated firewood must be properly packaged and clearly
labeled.
The quarantine will also allow commercial firewood producers and residents to apply for a firewood
compliance agreement. The compliance agreement would only be to transport one cord or more of
firewood from selected counties in neighboring states. The pre-approved counties are subject to change
should there be a discovery of an insect or disease of concern within the county.
The following counties are pre-approved:
Maine: Franklin, Oxford, Androscoggin, Cumberland, York
Vermont: All counties
Massachusetts: Essex, Middlesex, Franklin
A copy of the FCA must accompany any firewood shipped to New Hampshire.
The FCA will be an agreement between the applicant and the N.H. Department of Resources and
Economic Development or the N.H. Department of Agriculture, Markets & Food. The process will be
different for commercial producers of firewood and for residents. Residents wishing to transport one cord
of firewood or more, for home heating purposes only, may use the abbreviated compliance agreement
available on-line at www.nhdfl.org
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:18:23 PM by David_G48 »

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:07:47 PM »

Fryeburg, ME, which is part of Oxford County, so I am guessing they have permission via this from your quote:

"The quarantine will also allow commercial firewood producers and residents to apply for a firewood
compliance agreement. The compliance agreement would only be to transport one cord or more of
firewood from selected counties in neighboring states. The pre-approved counties are subject to change
should there be a discovery of an insect or disease of concern within the county.
The following counties are pre-approved:
Maine: Franklin, Oxford, Androscoggin, Cumberland, York"

So I guess if they don't find an infestation in Oxford they can still deliver over the border if they have signed a compliance agreement..

mendonza

• NEClimbs Junior Member
    • mattmendonza.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »

Thanks guys!

Western Maine is bringing me a few cords next week.

If you are storing outside under a tarp do you stack on the ground? On a pallet or something like that?

Hehe whole new set of things to learn aside from climbing.

Matt

Smear

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:48:35 AM »

Much better to stack it on some pallets.

DLottmann

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 02:42:26 PM »

I use pallets, and only cover the top of the stacks with plastic sheets, though I need to upgrade to metal as the plastic sheets I've been using are not holding up. You want air to circulate through the wood so it doesn't rot. Just google "how to stack wood" to see lots of info. I stack about 4 feet high and my ends are interlocking columns... can't wait to build a wood shed... should have done it this summer...

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 05:34:01 PM »

One thing you'll learn is that wood heats you at least 3, often 4 times-- when you stack it, when you bring it in, when you burn it--if you also cut it & split it that's twice more. Of course all that is expensive--it makes you thirsty and you drink more beer 8)  Not a bad thing, just an observation ;D

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:37:57 PM »

GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUGS,, the bark beetle and other nasty little creatures have devastated  millions of acres...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 24 queries.