NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Route on Bondcliff Oct 26-27, 2012  (Read 497 times)

brianjglenn

• NEClimbs Newbie
New Route on Bondcliff Oct 26-27, 2012
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:28:50 PM »

Greetings all,

My buddy Zach and I decided to do something different, so on Friday, October 27 and Saturday, October 28, 2012 under unseasonably warm conditions and mostly blue skies with moderate to no winds, we explored the sides of the iconic Bondcliff Buttress. 

Now we are certainly not the first one's to have climbed on Bondcliff, but I believe we freed a route, but before we go prancing around all high on ourselves as the Legends of Choss we certainly are, I thought I had better inquire to see if this route has ever been done before.  No evidence of anyone recording it, but always good to double check!

Start on the Buttress, in the corner closest to Mt. Bond (that would be climber's left if ascending), and rappel straight down to the overhang, and then rotate clockwise (again, climber's left) facing the wall, down to the Great Choss Glacier below.

Start by climbing the two-inch vertical crack that runs slanting left to right, ending at a moss-covered ledge.  Walk straight in and continue climbing until you reach an overhang comprised of several large, thumpy blocks.  (They seem to be in there very firmly, but they do thump!)  Traverse to climber's right over the block to the right (this is the first crux), and continue climbing to a large ledge.

The final face is now slightly to climber's left.  There will be a vertical crack just to one's left.  This is the crux move--a 5.6.  Up to a small ledge, and then finish by climbing up through the chimney that one initially rapped down.

One pitch.  A 60m rope will get you safely down to the start.

Obviously we would like to name it.  (Since it's Bondcliff, we will probably use a James Bond theme, maybe "007"), but obviously, we don't want to get ahead of ourselves!

We went out for the adventure, and it was a great weekend.  The climbing is very chossy and more than a few of the blocks give a hollow thump, but it is certainly something different, and you'll have a million hikers snap your picture if the weather is nice enough to draw the crowds.

Is anyone aware of this route being climbed before?

All the best,

Brian

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: New Route on Bondcliff Oct 26-27, 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »

Awesome !! the mysterious Bondcliff.  Ther sure is a tremendous amount of rock out there, some of it even climbable

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »

How about "Pussy galore" ?

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:39:40 PM »

.....or Octopussy
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »

Years ago I heard that a couple of people that worked at Galehead hut climbed there quite a bit.  I have no other info, sorry.  Spectacular location, sorry to hear the rock sucks.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:37 PM »

Most of it does suck, but there sure is a lot of it.

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »

Probably not "Sky Fall"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 1.23 seconds with 23 queries.