Author Topic: Wear your helmet!!!  (Read 383 times)

Offline Schandy

• NEClimbs Full Member
Wear your helmet!!!
« on: May 03, 2004, 06:33:37 am »
I know I am probably preaching to the wrong group, but wear your helmet.  I was at rumney this weekend racking up lots of early season vertical to get in shape.  Saw a young woman whip, flip upside down, land on the base of her skull, and then spin, slamming her knee into that wonderfully textured rumney schist.  She got lowered down right away, and to my suprise she was a little shaken but ok.  Her knee disloacted and then relocated itself, but otherwise she was lucky.  There was a major dent in the back of her helmet.  I always feel like a dork at rumney with my brain bucket but I think in this scenario she would have been out cold if not worse.  Just because there is no loose rock and its grid bolted doesn't mean that you can't fall down go boom.  I'll get off the soapbox now....

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Wear your helmet!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 07:17:49 am »
I 100% agree with this posting.

I saw a similar thing happen to someone on Centerpiece at Rumney several years ago. someone was seconding/toproping the climb when they came off, twisted around and swung into the rock, hitting their head quite hard. they were not wearing a helmet and suffered a concussion. you could hear the WHACK from all the way around the corner where I was flailing on Peer Pressure.

and it could have been worse!

I suppose if some manufacturer were to develop a super cool brain bucket that was so neat-o that everyone would WANT to wear it, 'cause it made them look so cool, & they got some of the hot young bloods to wear it, it would be a good thang.

Al
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 07:20:16 am »
I wear my helmet specificaly for that scenario more than the things falling from above  factor. I know my half dome isn't designed specificly for that type of impact but it's gotta help.

Offline scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 07:26:49 am »
i find it hard wearing the brain bucket on soggy days like saturday... move and you sweat... that helmet adds atleast 10 degrees.

BUT it did not stop me from wearing it

out of all the climbing areas i have been to in the north east, cathedral ledge and gunks wear helmets the least

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 08:28:37 am »
I am always surprised to see all the folks climbing without helmets at the Gunks. especially since the GT ledge is so covered with choss! there is the same problem on Cathedral in the area below the main ledge on the left side. when people traverse across the ledge heading to the Upper Refuse area they very often knock off rocks. I'm really surprised someone standing around the base of Bombardment or Fun House hasn't been seriously hurt.

Al
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 03:12:45 pm by admin »
Al Hospers

Offline cklein

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 09:09:17 am »
Climbed the funhouse variation on saturday.  Some minor rock fall missed us by a few feet.  If it had hit me in the head I would have been dead.  

Offline Schandy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 09:10:43 am »
     I'm tempted to trade in my ecrin roc for one of those fancier new ones with the foam.  This woman had the grivel one, which apparently did the trick.  Since my helmet is spankin new (warranty replacement)  I don't know if I can justify it.  
   I saw a huge rockfall on begginers delight last year.  Even the trade routes can have loose stuff on either side.  Loose rock or not, I've seen lots of gripped leaders fumble rather large (#3 camalot) pro and send it down the route.  Me and my helmet are good friends.