NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Patrick Edlinger est mort  (Read 2905 times)

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Patrick Edlinger est mort
« on: November 16, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »

http://www.franceinfo.fr/societe/escalade-patrick-edlinger-est-mort-804739-2012-11-16

No details yet on cause of death. One of his films was a big part in inspiring me to climb.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
Re: Patrick Edlinger est mort
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 05:44:34 PM »

Wow, he wasn't that old.  Brilliant climber who soloed 5.11 barefoot in the Verdon.  An inspiration to me as a barefoot climber.

As The Who said: Just gotta get used to it, we all get it on the end...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:49:49 PM by eyebolter »

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »

Wow, he wasn't that old.  Brilliant climber who soloed 5.11 barefoot in the Verdon.  An inspiration to me as a barefoot climber.

He was a huge inspiration to me as well Ward. I remember him at Snowbird and was just so amazed at his movement and strength. What a sad loss for us all.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »

He was a huge inspiration to me as well Ward. I remember him at Snowbird and was just so amazed at his movement and strength. What a sad loss for us all.
I still have the tape of that, not into plastic at all but that was plain brilliant climbing even to a trad.  One of the most influential climbers of the late 20 th century.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:23:18 PM by eyebolter »

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »

Really sad news.
He was so smooth, elegant, and makes it all look so easy when it is not.
Ward, I think he is only a year older than us.  Sobering thought.  Sigh.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »

A real big suck--- SO smooth.. like Bachar

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »

I read that he passed away at home and had been suffering from lung cancer.

I watched several videos of him climbing last night; so impressive, no dynamism at all, cool and and collected.  And such fine footwork, exhibiting incredible hip flexibility (mind boggling "frog" positions, no pun intended).

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 06:06:31 AM »

I read that he passed away at home and had been suffering from lung cancer.

I watched several videos of him climbing last night; so impressive, no dynamism at all, cool and and collected.  And such fine footwork, exhibiting incredible hip flexibility (mind boggling "frog" positions, no pun intended).

Lung cancer, that would explain it.  I actually thought that might be it as a lot of those frenchie climbers are chain smokers.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 08:38:32 AM »

Well, cause of death has not been confirmed yet but lung cancer is certainly a possibility.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »

Sport climber, Patrick Edlinger began climbing with his father on trad routes. He never liked the ethic of his father and started climbing harder routes on smaller cliffs. He is probably one of the first real sport climbers. His commitment to a climb was as high or higher than most trad climbers. He adopted a pure ethic to climb without a rope. In doing so, he was not the first. With his film, he introduced sport climbing ethics that are used today. 

His book, "grimper", with the old version of mountaineering freedom of the hill (fifthe edition) are two most important book to read as a climber. His mentality was to bring people to be autonomous. To learn by themselve and train as much as thy can. He was not a reckless person...but a strong minded climber who was aware of the dangers of climbing. He never tried to convince others that his way of climbing his better than trad climbing.

He sign a petition against climbing competition, with 31 other strong climbers. In that paper, they state that the new generation his going to kill climbing. As people become more competitive, they forget that we can just have fun in a route like lake view which his just 5.4. Today, in most gym, a beginer climb 5.9 or are nothing. They was true.

I learned with his book on my hand. I trained so much that I overtrained when some people smoke in the building where I leaved. I wasn't able to sleep because of smoke allergy. I never know about carpal tunel either and the operation that I had helped me to climb 5.11. I was limited by a physical problem. The book I red after "grimper" was also good and many of them was just to cover one aspect of training that Patrick doesn't explain completely. One can think of him as a good climber that you can beat...for me he his a friend who follow me on all of my best routes.         

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »

I'll never understand you Luke-

You HAD to do it.... I guess it couldn't just be "CLIMBER" Edlinger  ??????

He did Sphinx Crack  13c, onsighted Supercrack and one falled Cosmic Debris 13b  all this many years ago.. pretty good for "sport" climber I guess

:P

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 04:28:58 PM »

Yeah, LL/Champ you got me too.  I feel the same way as John.  The guy (RIP, Patrick) was so good at climbing, period.  Yeah, maybe he accelerated the onset of 'sport climbing' but he opened the eyes of many people and got more than a few into climbing as well.  When he free-soloed that route in Verdon barefoot, what was that?  Trad climbing, sport? Or a demo of skill and challenge of oneself that you often promote?

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 03:18:02 AM »

When he free-soloed that route in Verdon barefoot, what was that?  Trad climbing, sport? Or a demo of skill and challenge of oneself that you often promote?

I am sorry that nobody made a traduction of the book "grimper". Without reading the book, it is hard to understand the ethic of edlinger and what he did for the evolution of climbing. I red part of the book so many times that I had to tape the pages.

Peter Croft also climb for his plaisir. Is he a demo of skill or a chalenge of oneself? Do he have to climb at night, when nobody see him, to be consider as an honest person? Edlinger decide to bring an interest for a certain kind of climbing practice in the media. He had to do spectacular climb, as much as to be present in a competition to promote his magazine.   

The only thing that I have with Patrick Edlinger is my addiction for climbing. I never try to be like him, but I climb for my plaisir, to relax and to be away from people whit competitive behavior. it is the most important part of his book. If you make two different categories, varape in french (trad climbing) and sport climbing...there is no competition because each of them have different goal.

Manifeste des 19: http://www.cad-climbers.com/fr/nouvelles/dossiers/article.php?a=22

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:40:24 AM by lucky luke »

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 09:00:17 PM »

There is talk that he may have fallen down the stairs at home. Still nothing definite though.

You’ve got that covered, Ward, after already taking your stairs out of your house!

I'm not sure if it was a traditional falling down the stairs or sport. I am guessing traditional.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.