NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cormier-Magness Route  (Read 1146 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
The Cormier-Magness Route
« on: November 16, 2012, 09:24:59 PM »

So I went out and climbed the first 4 pitches of The Cormier-Magness Route today with Jeff Lea. It was very nice climbing, tho it had a few obstacles... We started up at about 1:30. I led the first 3 pitches. P 1 is obviously the first pitch of Beginner's, to the tree. Then you step out right and climb just left of the arete. There is very minimal gear in the whole pitch. Fortunately the climbing is moderate and the rock of a high quality. The Wheat Thin Flake is appropriately named. It is very thin and takes very minimal gear. When I say minimal, I mean minimal. I think I got in 1 piece of gear, plus clipped the 3 bolts, in the whole 190'! (More about the gear in general later.) The next pitch, the Cajun Washboard pitch, again has great rock but pretty minimal gear. At one point you have to step across some moss. Fortunately there is a bolt nearby. The moss was wet and quite cold, adding to the "spice". The last pitch, The Open Book, had better gear in some places, yet in others had none. Jeff did a great job leading this pitch and it was wet and honestly nasty. At one point there was actually ice covered moss! In fact there were a couple of places where I'm sure that there was "black ice" where I was standing as my feet slipped around. I was glad that pitch wasn't mine! I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal in the summer, certainly no more than a lot of other Whitehorse climbs.

All in all it was an enjoyable outing. It was quite chilly, but that was to be expected since it was in the shade. However I really do have to note that this is IMNSHO NOT a 5.6 climb for 5.6 leaders. Lots of Whitehorse climbs are runout, and this one is absolutely in that category - maybe even a little more than most. I would say this is a 5.6 climb for 5.8 leaders. Regardless it's a nice addition to the cliff and I'm looking forward to finishing it in the spring, tho I'm pretty sure that the first 4 pitches are the best..

http://www.neclimbs.com/index.php?PageName=routes&RouteID=1132
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:54:16 PM by Admin Al »
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

Re: The Cormier-Magness Route
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »

Then you step out left and climb just left of the arete. There is very minimal gear in the whole pitch.

You mean "step right" and climb just left of the arete... I wouldn't call it super run-out... you get a bolt soon after the pitch begin's, then an awesome horizontal (or tree), then some nice padding to a bolt, then that kinda creaky flake... the real run out starts after that flake IMO, but... if it feels too spicy to can step right off the arete and into a right facing corner (I think you are now on Beginner's easy variation) climb some chill 5.4, and make a weird move over that little bush to get back to the anchor... it avoids the solid 5.6 runout, but it's more aesthetic staying out on the arete...

If you compare the Cajun Washboard pitch to nearby Beginner's pitch 4 (no gear from anchor to anchor) it is pretty reasonable, with the business being that mossy bolt protected traverse... I can imagine moisture would suck there...

I think the 1st half of the 4th pitch is great... and the last 30 feet... but that long traverse is a bit blah for that pitch to be worth it if not going for the top IMO... and the upper pitches are cooler than I thought they would be...

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:54:42 PM »

yes, I did mean RIGHT...
Al Hospers

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »

while you CAN get a piece of gear in at the top of the flake, it's bogus. the flake will assuredly fall off if you were to fall on the gear. and you are probably 50' out from the previous bolt 'till you get to the next bolt.

hey look - for me the whole thing's no biggie, with the exception of the icy moss in a couple of places. I'm just saying that your garden-variety 5.6 leader is going to be at her limit.
Al Hospers

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »

while you CAN get a piece of gear in at the top of the flake, it's bogus. the flake will assuredly fall off if you were to fall on the gear. and you are probably 50' out from the previous bolt 'till you get to the next bolt.

hey look - for me the whole thing's no biggie, with the exception of the icy moss in a couple of places. I'm just saying that your garden-variety 5.6 leader is going to be at her limit.

You can get a shallow good small cam in the crack below the flake that is pretty good... .3 BD I think... not an obvious placement, but better than the placement at the top. I agree if 5.6 slab is your limit this route will scare ya ;)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 03:02:48 PM »

Run out on Whitehorse ???!!!!

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »

I'd like to complain in advance about the conditions reported in this TR. 
I find Al constantly misrepresents the Moss Report rating, IMO.

I'm planning to travel from East Bumfuk, Nebraska to do this route, and if'n I don't find iced-up moss, rattley gear behind flakes, and runout 5.6 climbing, I'm totally friggin' planning to bill Al for my gas $.

You've been warned, Mr. NEClimbs.
Dale

(Sweet choice for November, Al.  Hope folks are taking advantage of this gorgeous weekend!)
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:01 PM »

Ya, we rock climbed a NE exposure w/ ice forming on either side of our line :-[

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »

I climbed the first 2 pitches of this back in october I think.  Awsome.  And yes that run out on the second pitch is scary as hell, esp for me being on my second trad lead......  Loooking forward to finishing it up.  The flake climbs so great that you dont notice the run out until the top of it.  Great route!

DLottmann

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 01:37:58 AM »

Thatís quite solid for a 2nd trad lead... nice job...

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »

+1 for that joec

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »

The bolted belay stances and bolts en route made me feel safe.  In all of the second pitch my only good piece was right off the belay and horizontal by the tree.  The cam i got in just above the flake made me feel safer, But i damn well knew if a bird landed on it it was gone.  Loved every minute of it, once i came to terms with the fear of the runout....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 24 queries.