NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Busy, beautiful day on Saturday in Huntington  (Read 675 times)

ralbert20

• NEClimbs Full Member
Busy, beautiful day on Saturday in Huntington
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »

My partner and I did Pinnacle Gully, with at least 2 parties of 2 in front of us, and a soloist who passed them; as well as a party of 2, and a party of 3 on Pinnacle Rock Climb. I also saw another party of 2 hiking around in the ravine, but I don't know where they ended up. The ice was fat on the first pitch, and very spotty on the second, with at least 2 cam placements... Super fun though! Temps were in the 40s, no wind, not a cloud in the sky!

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Busy, beautiful day on Saturday in Huntington
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »

I'd actually heard that Saturday P1 was OK but P2 was very sketchy.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Maxsuffering

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:06:55 PM »

Ralbert20, you must have been the two guys who came up last, or... third or however you want to say it. Fun stuff, great day. Did you guys hike to the summit too?

Al, Did you hear that from the guy soloing? The only reason I found that pitch sketchy was because he was swinging for home runs on ice that simply needed to be handled more delicately, pushed past my partner while he was leading and then dropped an ice block the size of Strandmans beer cooler down on everybody below. What an Asshole! He didn't even look back to see if he'd killed anybody after he dropped the bomb despite the profanity I was firing up at him. If anybody knows this guy let him know he may be the biggest piece of shit I have ever met while climbing!

No black flies anywhere in Huntington ravine on Saturday. (Smile.)

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »

Seems like that has always been Huntington ice climbing etiquette.  Climbing there in the 70's  you would be there first, but the soloist would show up and blow by you dropping ice on you once above.  Then once I was the soloist I did the same thing, lol.

ralbert20

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:33:04 AM »

Max- indeed, we were the 3rd (last) party up the gully. We did not hike to the summit - though it was probably pretty awesome. We boogied out of there, and got home in time to be "social."

Al - the second pitch was not entirely frozen, but totally doable. At no point did it seem like we were in danger of falling off. Most of the ice seemed well bonded, and we only had to cross open water 2x ;)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »

Most of the ice seemed well bonded, and we only had to cross open water 2x ;)

[LOL]

pretty typical for early season then...
Al Hospers

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 11:44:58 AM »

To Maxsuffering: I humbly suggest that you exaggerated a bit--any "ice block the size of strandman's beer cooler" would clean out the whole gully, especially if the teams below were roped >:(  (Just kidding)-- that's why I avoid the "classic" climbs on weekends, esp. in early season. Soloing and arriving after others have started doesn't give the soloist some "superior right of passage". I agree he must have been an A#*HOLE.  Jeff Lea

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:42:32 PM »

ralbert20: any pictures of Pinnacle?
Al Hospers

Maxsuffering

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »

Jeff, I've never actually seen Strandmans beer cooler, in fact I don't even drink... but trust me this thing was BIG! Luckily I was belaying on the side of the gully and pressed into the wall when I saw it go and my partner was up against the other fishing in some gear and neither of us was hit with anything as it broke up. Somehow our other friend leading behind us his under his helmet and was missed by everything major.

It's not even the dropping ice that got me fired up as much as the guys behavior before and after. "Superior right of passage" sums up this guys attitude pretty well. Soloing WI3 doesn't make you special... really!

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »

" Soloing WI3 doesn't make you special... really!"  Too True!! ::)  Trust me Strandman's cooler falling would make an impression on anyone below ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 23 queries.