NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Front Points  (Read 1079 times)

triguy

• NEClimbs Full Member
Front Points
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »

Mono vs. dual.

Why, why not....where, where not?

Also, can I cut the front strap that connects the toe bail to the ankle strap off on my BD cyborgs?

Thanks!

Scott
Ice has two purposes in life: climbing and watering down bad scotch!

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Front Points
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »

once I gave up on my old Foot Fangs and got some Charlet M8's I used mono points for many years & loved them. then one day I was climbing Hobbit and Kevin Mahoney was there as well. I asked him what he was using and he said dual points, Petzl M10's. I asked why and he said that he liked having the stability and he only used mono points for really mixed stuff. I watched him walk the little edges on the Hobbit wall. I went back to IME, bought a pair of M10 duals and never looked back. I bought a pair of Lynx last year when they were hard to find and really like them.

YMMV
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »

I use both. Mono's for early season, mixed, and ice climbs that I know will be in weird candleried conditions. Overall, most of the time I'm on duel points. Once you cut the hole in the anti- bot on the Cyborgs it's relatively easy to change back and forth, although I found it easier to remove the anti- bot rather than cut. I would suggest getting a second set of front points as you'll most likely strip the screws if you change back and forth a few times.

You can cut the strap and wrap it around your ankle, works. Just fine. 

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »

Pretty much same as Al...

I started in 2001 on dual, then 2002-2008 climbed exclusively on M10 Mono's, switched back to duals in 2008 and won't go back to monos unless I start climbing hard overhanging mixed routes...

For pure ice I think duals are better, M10's or Cyborgs... I'm currently on Cyborgs...

fresh

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »

I climbed in BD cyborg, modified as monos for a year or two and liked them just fine. then I switched to BD sabertooths and have liked their stability even more. as long as you're precise with your footwork, either will work just fine.

shred

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »

I have a pair of first maybe second generation Rambo's (dual). Although a bit on the heavy side they are awesome. I have been trying to find replacement front points. Seems hard to find, anybody know of a good parts website/store?

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 09:28:56 AM »

I think I have a set I would love to part with, since I don't have those Rambos any longer. I will PM you.
Tom Stryker

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »

It's funny that when mono points first gained favor everyone and his brother jumped on the bandwagon and bought them.  I never did, and would often get condescending looks from the enlightened ones.  I mean, the ones whose wallets were enlightened. 

Now the ice junkies seem to have travelled full circle.

Yeah, I thought monos were a stupid idea from the get go for pure ice, although it's certainly possible that was a rationalization to keep using my Fangs. They sold them with the idea that you could draft in your tool sticks, which is really irrelevant and even dumb 99% of the time. Plus, it seemed obvious that the most important thing on ice is to have quiet, stable feet, which seemed to me required a lot more concentration if you're attached by a single pivot point rather than a two point platform. And when the ice gets to <1" thick you want as much metal surface as possible in contact with the ice. Sometimes down South I'd break out the old SMC rigids for just that reason because those points were horizontal and laugh at the doofuses trying to scratch up with their little thin monos.
Who knows, maybe they'll even come back to leashes.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »

I feel that I am more precise with the Monos, but they did take some getting used to. I think they teach quiet feet and displace far less ice than the dual points...I think they do save some energy too initially when they are first placed.

The duals seem to be better suited for all around ice up here. They take a bit more to place..multiple kicks and beat the shit out of the routes, but they definitely do offer more stability over the monos once they are in. I have been going back and fourth with this for years...last year was mono...the year prior was soley the dartwins! Personal preference for sure, but I would have to say that the dual set up feels more secure in most situations and enable you to do alpine ice in the gullies and handle those transitions from neve to blue ice far better than the monos which are miserable in airated or sun baked ice.

Just my two cents  ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »

Never! That's one ship that has definitely sailed... unless they invent a virtual one that automatically disappears just by wishing it so every-time I need to place a screw, remove a screw, switch hands on my tool, etc...

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »

Never! That's one ship that has definitely sailed... unless they invent a virtual one that automatically disappears just by wishing it so every-time I need to place a screw, remove a screw, switch hands on my tool, etc...

odd, I never have any problem placing and removing screws... What I can't get past is that I use my hands for climbing a lot on ice, which is after all the purest way to climb. And the fastest. The simplest thing to do is just drop the tool and go, which does not work as well leashless. yeah, yeah, I can gum things up gluing velcro everywhere, but I'd still be seriously concerned about losing a tool, especially when squirming through tight spots. Stegg gives me sh!t about how leashes are aid, but, guess what, it's all aid.

But this thread is supposed to be about that other abomination, the mono.

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »

So you just let the tool hang off your wrist strap swinging to and fro while you place/clean screws?

Davewalks

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Maybe true. Maybe not. Best believe.
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »

I'm enough of a gumby....and nobody knows me...so I can say this...If you cut off the toe straps on flexible semi-step in crampons and then you:

--get scared and kick too hard
--get mad and kick too hard
--laugh and kick too hard
--bottom them out
--are unlucky...or use slightly sloppy technique...

You might pop a toe bail.

This is disconcerting. It's even more disconcerting if you happen to be leading when it happens.

Now, I've never used mono points. But I have used both horizontals and verticals. They only advantage of horizontals on hard ice is that they steepen the learning curve:)

Stay safe

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »

I heard all you guys spouting off on how great duals are a few years ago so i bought a pair a Sarkens. even talked myself into likeing them. One day I took  my old  rambocomp mono's for a spin and was blown away by how much better they were than the dual point sarkens... maybe it was simply the model of duals but I went back to monos and stayed...  Whatever works for you..

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »

Yeah, I thought monos were a stupid idea from the get go for pure ice, although it's certainly possible that was a rationalization to keep using my Fangs.

Certainly the interesting part of the foot fang is the v shape blade between the dual point. Never know why they don't have that blade on other crampon. When you kick on ice cycle, the blade just cut the surface of the ice an allow a deeper placement of each point.

When you think at the shape of the ice, most route of grade 2 to 4 are mostly uniform in mountain and area with no diurnal melt down. Dual point are better on those place because you have a better stability. As you climb to 5 and 6 grade, the quality of the ice is not as good and you have to climb on ice cycle. A one inches ice cycle hit in the middle don't gave you any grip of your dual point in the ice because your boot hit the rond shape of the ice cycle beforeyour point. At this moment, level expert, leashless, etc, mono point is more than easier.

At my point of view, always better for a beginer to use dual point because the technique is a little bit harder to understand. When the beginer know how to evaluate the ice, he can move to mono point to perform. The facility way, using mono point because you need less power to anchor your point, is not, at my opinion, a good solution. A solid climber on dual point is always going to be a stronger climber to me than a shaky mono point climbing a level higher.

Think at the description of Bouchard climbing repentence last year...describe by Al if my memory is good.   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 23 queries.