General > Ice & Winter Climbing

rescue problematic

(1/4) > >>

lucky luke:
I was with my friend hicking in a snow storm. I was kidding him when I told him that I will call the rescue because we are lost (not really) He answered that it will be the last thing that he will do...and me either. He is a mountaineer and I am not bad either. Stayed many days alone in the wilderness close to la pomme d'or and climbed it. I played in the cold weather and bad condition. Ordinarly, I begin to have fun when the other want to go back home. If I can't do it, a rescue can't do it either. So, the problem to be rescue is not a problematic for me.

But what is the responsability of the government, guide or other people when some people go to the wilderness and what legal procedure exist? Do they have the obligation to do some thing or do the leader of the group have the responsability.

what is the legal responsability?

Note: we understand that some one who gave courses and want more client can scare people. And that those people will take an academic style to look credible. I am interested in real consequences and actions in a situation where some one can have to call for rescue.

OldEric:
Rescue should not be a legal issue with the implication that the government - big brother - is responsible.  It should be an available service that can be called upon when desired.  A commercial service.  The cost will be pricey.  Insurance companies could have a field day.  No judgment involved - the drunken co-ed lost in the woods pays the same as mr big time guide who was taken out by a snowboarder while guiding 6 blind clients up Lion's Head (mr do good - victim of  a fluke accident).  Everyone - or their insurance company - pays the actual cost.

DWT:

--- Quote from: OldEric on November 30, 2012, 10:23:48 PM ---Rescue should not be a legal issue with the implication that the government - big brother - is responsible.  It should be an available service that can be called upon when desired.  A commercial service.  The cost will be pricey.  Insurance companies could have a field day.  No judgment involved - the drunken co-ed lost in the woods pays the same as mr big time guide who was taken out by a snowboarder while guiding 6 blind clients up Lion's Head (mr do good - victim of  a fluke accident).  Everyone - or their insurance company - pays the actual cost.

--- End quote ---

Bill my estate for the carry-out.  Good Luck :)

lucky luke:

--- Quote from: OldEric on November 30, 2012, 10:23:48 PM ---Rescue should not be a legal issue with the implication that the government - big brother - is responsible.
--- End quote ---

I understand the solution and it will be interesting to discuss the problematic that people in real danger who won't call because they don't have the money. It is similar to the medical care when people don't go to see the doctor with broken finger or a bad fall. We can also talk about the resistance of the insurance to pay for thoe kind of accident and make restriction. I can think at a father with two child who broke unfortunately a leg, lost his job and let there child in povrety. I understand that there is + and - to be discuss.

But in that post, I just like to know the problematic: "should not be. This means that actually, there is an legal implication of the government in it. What is it? I know a law that state that you most help some one when his life his threatening if you don't place your life in danger...is there any other legal issue?

triguy:
You are treading the fine line between ethics, politics, and common sense.

Those topics should never be mixed.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version