NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntington Ravine  (Read 1426 times)

angeloks

• NEClimbs Newbie
Huntington Ravine
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »

Hi,
Since the weather is going to be pretty warm, I was thinking on climbing the summer route of Huntington ravine this week. I guess there won't be that much snow so that I should be able to follow the trail. Crampons and alpine axe should do it? Or I should gear up for ice climbing?
A+
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:42:26 PM by angeloks »

DLottmann

Re: Huntington Ravine
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »

While I must be honest and say I've never attempted the Huntington hiking trail this time of year I would consider it to be in pretty serious condition despite the warm temps down in the valleys. I would expect thin ice over the bottom slab, possible verglas elsewhere, not much in terms for "security" without a rope and pro... I would wear a helmet if I was going to try it, but there are 50 other better places to hike this time of year than the head wall of Huntington...

Have you done Boot Spur? Nelson Crag? Those are two excellent ridge hikes, Nelson Crag gives you some excellent views into Huntington Ravine...

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »

Very good advice and alternatives. Agree 100%

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:46:23 AM »

The trail could be pretty nasty now ?  henderson Ridge is barely technical and decent stuff.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »

Rains last night and the night before have altered the conditions considerably. I would be real leary of attempting the Ravine Trail now. The drive through the notch was icy this morning and the flanks of Mount Washington were frosted with rime. I am in agreement with DMan and Strandman. There are better options out there for this time of year that will still get you out enjoying the mountains! Be safe!  ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

angeloks

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »

Oki thank you all for your advices ! @DMan, I climbed both Nelson Crag and Spur. I also did Huntington a few times this summer, but I guess from all the comments, I should avoid it right now. Any suggestions then to get up Huntington anyway? Although I'm expecting it to be somewhat technical and involving, what would be the "easiest way/safest" way up? Strandman mentioned Henderson ridge, is that a good option right now? I'll be carrying some rope and ice-screws.

DGoguen

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »

Seems like hiking and climbing are getting thrown together here.
The Huntington Ravine trail is the easiest way to the Alpine Garden. This time of year it will either bore a climber or kill a Hiker.
The Henderson ridge, albeit super easy, is a class 5 rock route that would also kill a hiker or keep a climber attentive.
I think you need to decide if your going climbing or hiking.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:08:39 PM by DGoguen »

angeloks

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:44:22 PM »

@DGoguen, indeed I realized that my question wasn't quite clear. I was looking for an easy "climb" up Huntington just to get started this season. I'm expecting some mountaineering experience without the real "climbing" involvement (for exemple a 30m vertical section). So I guess with some proper gear, the Huntington trail is climbable relatively easily. I apologize if my question seems unclear. I've only climbed Tuckerman in winter, so I don't really what conditions to expect in Huntington, especially this early in the season ! Thanks again for your inputs !
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:47:07 PM by angeloks »

Broken_Spectre

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • climbing-YAY!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »

I would dispute the assertion that the HR trail is a piece of cake this time of year.  The slabs right of central when covered with verglas (like they probably are right now) are no picnic.  I'd opt for Henderson (it stays drier) unless the snow piles up and covers those initial slabs, otherwise prepare for some thin mixed to gain the buttress...

DLottmann

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 05:14:10 PM »

Oki thank you all for your advices ! @DMan, I climbed both Nelson Crag and Spur. I also did Huntington a few times this summer, but I guess from all the comments, I should avoid it right now. Any suggestions then to get up Huntington anyway? Although I'm expecting it to be somewhat technical and involving, what would be the "easiest way/safest" way up? Strandman mentioned Henderson ridge, is that a good option right now? I'll be carrying some rope and ice-screws.

So, I gotta ask... what's the fascination with Huntington? You did it a few times this summer, and have done Nelson... I would suggest waiting till the snow routes come in and grabbing South Gully, or Odells if you have some ice climbing experience...

Paul Calabro

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »

For what it's worth, here's an image of what the Huntington Ravine hiking trail looked like on Saturday (surely it has changed by now).
Also for what it's worth, I was going to descend it and wound up bailing back upwards - for me, it was more sketch-fest than I wanted to get into.
Bonatti is God

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »

Nice shot Paul- you gotta love the "trail"

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 07:23:09 PM »

Did Odell's Friday and although the approach was not bad the descent via Lions head was very slow going.

If you are used to the mountains in the winter i would say you have nothing to worry about just plan for a good amount of extra time. If you are not used to the mountains in the winter i would say skip it. Either way it will be a long slow day.

angeloks

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 12:15:40 PM »

Hey, thanks for all your inputs ! I went for it Tuesday. Left Montreal at 5am and got on the trail by 9h30. We had planned extra time and brought ice axes and crampons. It took us around 8 hours (up Huntington, down Lion's head). We had a great time, it is such a beautiful mountain. I must say that I love Alpine Garden !

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:21:43 PM by angeloks »

DLottmann

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »

Great pics, glad you had a fun day. You may have gotten the first dual leashless Ergo ascent of the Huntington Ravine trail...  ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 23 queries.