I've got Dec 21-27 off and was planning on heading up to Conway but I have to reserve a place to stay ASAP, and once I reserve, there's big cancellation fees.
Anyone have a thought on whether there will be a week's worth of climbable ice by then? I don't want to pay for 6 nights of lodging and be stuck twiddling my thumbs and going for soggy hikes.
Alternatively, let's say I do decide to come up and the ice conditions are crap - what other options are there around N Conway? Winter "alpine" ascents of WG, NE Ridge of the Pinnacle, etc? Drinking scotch by the fire? Are there any bolted drytooling crags in the area?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.