NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crawford Notch Conditions...  (Read 807 times)

DLottmann

Crawford Notch Conditions...
« on: December 29, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »

Things are pretty good up there... from the last 3 days in the notch:

Chia is doable but thin, Trestle Flows are great, Trestle slab is pretty good, Walk in Forest is good, Standard Left is do-able but thin, Standard Center is in, Standard Right is in but thin in spots, Standard Right Right is thin but good enough for some hard core folks, 2nd pitch of Penguin is in, Dracula is “in enough”, thin at top, Hanging Gardens is coming along great, the easiest line looks plastic in fully attached, and a party was TRing one of the “within routes” which looked quite doable... the slab to the right of Hanging Gardens is IN....

Further north Willey’s is reportedly in good shape, Cinema looks good, Gully 1 and Great Madness are very close to in.... Elephant Head is thin at top, but always is, Snotiscle is In... trestle cully in....

LOTS to do for not even New Years... time to update the ice report Al it is on!

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
Re: Crawford Notch Conditions...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »

Good for you lunatic ice climbers!

I have to hike out a mile or so and shovel the tops off my favorite highball boulder problems, this is the second snowstorm this week.

The snow will make for a better landing once I'm done!

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »

I just do not get it.. I talk with Ed on the phone in the morning. It is stupid cold out. I am going Ice climbing, he is going rock climbing. I wear full winter clothes includeing dry gloves with hand warmers inside of them.(I bring 3 pairs to always have a dry pair) I stay just barely comfortable enough to have a great day. I talk to Ed in the evening and he tells me that it could have been a little more sunny and a bit less windy but it was awsome.. Did you folks get dropped on the head as babys?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »

stuff is finally starting to come in and there is stuff to climb, but it's barely IN yet. I would sday by the middle of next week many things will actually be In at the consensus grades
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »

Got get with the times. in the modern era of Global warming if it takes 10cm screws it is in :-*

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »

Got get with the times. in the modern era of Global warming if it takes 10cm screws it is in :-*

LOL...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 10:46:49 PM »

Left hand monkey wrench was great! the crux was a bit more hooking than sticks but very enjoyable. Cleft was a blast!!! hiking down in the snow was fun too!!!! Glad to see that winter has finally shown up :)
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »

I was dropped several times as a  youngster.. not on the  head though. I may have been all those bouldering years, before pads

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »

I just do not get it.. I talk with Ed on the phone in the morning. It is stupid cold out. I am going Ice climbing, he is going rock climbing. I wear full winter clothes includeing dry gloves with hand warmers inside of them.(I bring 3 pairs to always have a dry pair) I stay just barely comfortable enough to have a great day. I talk to Ed in the evening and he tells me that it could have been a little more sunny and a bit less windy but it was awsome.. Did you folks get dropped on the head as babys?

You do not understand aspect Trad?  You see it evidenced on any east-west highway in the winter.  North road cut is full sun and bare rock, south side is shady, ice flows and snow.

As long as it is sunny, the air temperature is mostly irrelevant for winter rock climbing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:20:25 PM by eyebolter »

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »

And one can always put hand warmers in chalk bag and pouches of hoodies.
But I have to say with the wind gusts today was just too darn cold for much of anything.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 07:14:07 PM »

I understand perfectly.  the last gent ampetheater is an oven. On a 10f day it is totally comfy with a light jacket hat, gloves, winter mountainereing boots and ice tools. Selon blue and Geo factor are downright pleasant on a sunny cold day. I have absolutly no desire however to take off my boots and barefoot rock climb. in fact i realy do not enjoy rock climbing in winter cloths. It hinders my movement. Winter cloths lend themselfs to sharp pointy steel apendages 8)

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »

And one can always put hand warmers in chalk bag and pouches of hoodies.
But I have to say with the wind gusts today was just too darn cold for much of anything.

Agreed. Windy and 20's but pretty sunny = cold.   Im sick right now but if I wasn't I guarantee you that boulder problems would have been sent today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 23 queries.