NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Varmints at Frakenstein  (Read 825 times)

rpdoucette

• NEClimbs Full Member
Varmints at Frakenstein
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »

Beware.  There is a red squirrel living at the base of Standard Route at Frankenstein in Crawford Notch NH.  The little bastard is chewing through pack lids looking for goodies.  He has done it down at the RR tracks also.  So far he has avoided attempts to dispatch him with ice axes.  If you leave your pack anywhere there, I would leave the lid unzipped.  I may bring a trap and some peanut butter next time I am there...

DLottmann

Re: Varmints at Frakenstein
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »

OK, time to hijack... what is so heavy in your backpack that you must leave it at the base of a 3 pitch ice route?

I know this is almost the norm, but all I have in my pack after racking up is my belay jacket, a bottle of water, a tiny 1st aid kit, and some munchy munchies... probably weighs less than 7 pounds... (Wild Things Ice Sack)....

So what is the benefit of leaving it on the tracks on a Grade 3 ice climb? 5.10 rock I can understand, but grade 3 ice? Just sayin’.... I would like to see ice climbers lead more with packs on... and less freezing cold hungry dehydrated seconds topping out on Standard...

I don’t even notice my pack on Grade 5... ice climbing ain’t rock climbing...

IMO to many new ice leaders own/use giant backpacks designed for hiking... not climbing...

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:57:23 PM »

Climbing without a pack is more fun than with one. You might think it's good training but the reality is that training just wears your body out... Save it for when you really need it. don't wear it out training YMMV :-[

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »

I never thought of it as “training”. It’s 7lbs... how is that training? Seriously... a modern alpine pack with a belay jacket + water bottle does not effect your climbing... and if it does, time to turn it down a notch... YMMV I guess...

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:32:24 AM »

Easy to be all smug now. wait till you get a bit older and stuff starts to hurt :-[ 

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »

We left our packs down there last week and the red squirrel attacked! My pack was ok but my partner had his new pack chewed on. Guiding up there a few weeks ago the squirrel literally would run in front of us...stop about 10' away and get on it's hind legs and beg. Never seen this before. If you choose to leave your packs, definitely leave the lid open or just bring the goodies with you...maybe both. He/she is a persistent little bugger!!! :-\
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »

Kill that fucker !! it's after the whiskey

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »

It really should be killed. It is too smart. If it keeps passing along those genes it will be Planet of the Chipmunks in no time.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »

When we did the PCT, we went back to the trail over Trail Crest, dumped our packs for the run to the summit of Whitney. When we got back to the packs discovered that a marmot (we think) had decided to sample some of our 10 days(!) worth of food. It tore into the pocket where I kept the spices and bit into the film cannister (wonderfully useful items, I guess now obsolete) that held the cayenne. That evidently marked the end of his foray into our food. Wish I could have witnessed it. Hope it turned him off packs forever.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

DWT

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »

Maybe we could rig a pack with one of these guys. ;D

http://youtu.be/kBb7KReY6Eg

DWT

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »

This dude's a trip too

"Claws like a terradactyl" :D

http://youtu.be/3dRMZJgPBuo

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »

It really should be killed. It is too smart. If it keeps passing along those genes it will be Planet of the Chipmunks in no time.

Come at me bro!
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

DWT

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 04:59:19 PM »

Come at me bro!
LOL  a definite +1 :D

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »

My new avatar  :)
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 23 queries.