Author Topic: 2012 warmest ever  (Read 1792 times)

DWT

2012 warmest ever
« on: January 08, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: 2012 warmest ever
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
As much I dislike sub 20 temps, this is bad news to me.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »
it's not at all surprising...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »
.....but disappointing none the less.
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:10:13 PM »
The trend continues into 2013 with a bunch of above-freezing nights forecasted for Boston and surrounding areas.  Imagine that; several above-freezing nights in a row, in January, in New England!

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:01:03 AM »
1 AM Thursday morning and its 39 degrees and lightly raining!!!!!! WTF?
Al Hospers

DWT

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:06:46 PM »

creepin' around the neighborhood Al? ;D

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »

creepin' around the neighborhood Al? ;D

[LOL] - coming home from playing a gig at Delaney's. my band plays there about ever six weeks on Wednesday nights.
Al Hospers

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
Whats not to like?  40 and sunny, plenty warm for bouldering and enough snow for skiing.   Pics are of "The Emperor," V6 and my spotter, a 10 minute drive and 40 minute hike from my house.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:51:23 PM by eyebolter »

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 07:54:16 PM »
Nice boulder!  And, er shoes, Ward.  I like to see this boulder one of these days. :)
Ella is walking!  You are in trouble now Ward!! :)
And you will wonder where all your personal time has gone once she stops napping after lunch.

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »
Yeah, I put that up a few years ago barefoot, but I need to lose some weight and it is plenty hard in shoes right now!

Back on topic, 38 and foggy here, just went skiing but it was slow.  There is a stratospheric inversion over the arctic now, which means that we may get a real cold blast the end of this week into next.  All you ice climbers should rejoice!  Hopefully we will get some snow as well.

Nasty Cold Wave Heading for Part of the U.S.

By Alex Sosnowski, Expert Senior Meteorologist

January 11, 2013; 4:51 AM

Beginning during the middle of January, waves of frigid air will be moving southward across North America from the North Pole.
Much of the nation experienced higher-than-average temperatures and lower heating bills so far during the cold weather season, with the exception of some bouts the past couple of weeks.

However, there are signs of a potential change on the way beginning the second half of January.
A phenomenon known as sudden stratospheric warming occurred in the arctic region during the first week of January. The stratosphere is located between 6 miles and 30 miles above the ground. Often when this occurs, it forces cold air to build in the lowest layer of the atmosphere then to drive southward.

The problem is the exact timing and location of the emergence of this cold air is uncertain. The effect is not immediate. Typically, the movement of cold air begins 10 to 14 days later. Discharges of the cold air can continue for weeks and shift from one part of the continent to another over time.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/brutal-cold-waves-could-reach-us/3586088
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:23:39 PM by eyebolter »

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 03:46:49 PM »
Wow!walking  :) I know the feeling, Ward. I stepped on a scale a couple weeks ago and weighed 148 lbs, the most I ever have. That would be fine if it was muscle, but it was all jiggly stuff. You really feel it on the steep..no snap. I could still get up the technical stuff, but on that long steep 10D at Evolution, at the top I was thinking "Wow, I might not make it" Shocked me into action. I cheated though by chopping my hair off. Probably saved 6 lbs there  ;D

Boo on the weather forcast. The snow is almost gone down here and I was hoping for dry boulders soon.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »
Try 170 if you think you are fat. Yes I flashed that 10d but I felt it at the top!   Funny I can still climb 12c and V6 so I should shred if I get back to 155 (148 is the least I've ever weighed as an adult, when I put up Barracuda, and Ed said that I looked like a skinned chicken).

I'm on a no wheat, no dessert, no booze except weekends diet and I'm hiking or skiing with Ella every day.  The baby has killed me, being housebound 5 days a week, but I'm going out rain or shine now.

As sports nutritionist Michael Colgan said: "Nothing tastes as good as lean and mean feels."

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:05:28 PM by eyebolter »

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
How tall are you guys? I'm 5'11" and would be thrilled to see 170 pounds again.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 04:33:36 PM »
How tall are you guys? I'm 5'11" and would be thrilled to see 170 pounds again.

I'm 5' 9", Mark is a bit less.  Depends on your build of course, but 155 is a good 5% body fat weight for me.  I need to lose 15 freaking pounds....