NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: avalanches  (Read 5667 times)

Maxsuffering

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: avalanches
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2013, 06:25:13 AM »

Get rid of Champ?! ...C'mon, the train wrecks that are Lukes posts are my favorite part of this site!

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2013, 06:35:59 AM »

Dman, what would you do without champ? you would be a puppy dog missing his chew toy.... :-[

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »

Gone?  Why, because he doesn't agree with you?  How petty.

As the self proclaimed avalanche expert on the board, where exactly have you climbed outside of New England?   Do you have experience on other ranges?

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

JJ Jameson

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »

[/quote]
Gone?  Why, because he doesn't agree with you?  How petty.

As the self proclaimed avalanche expert on the board, where exactly have you climbed outside of New England?   Do you have experience on other ranges?
[/quote]

Where he has climbed outside of NE has ZERO bearing on his ability to understand our snow pack and our conditions here in the Whites. He shares his knowledge of our conditions as an expert because he is very familiar with our maritime wind/weather patterns and the resulting snow pack and slabs, the terrain, and the type of activities that occur in our backyard. He doesn't claim to be the universal expert on localized conditions in other avalanche climates, but he certainly has the understanding of them to know that they can be very different from what we experience here.

Dman has invested a lot of time, effort and money in learning about snow science and avalanche science, both for his own knowledge, and to be able to share it with others. Chances are very good his work educating clients in the field has prevented some of them from making mistakes that could have been costly.

Shepherds Pie

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »

It matters because Luke is offering opinions that may apply to the larger scheme instead of the myopic view of someone who has only regional knowledge.  Basically Luke states that a broad based experience and working knowledge trumps paying for classes to get a certification, which is undeniable.  There was a time not that long ago when the old Lions Head winter trail was considered safe by the powers that be, and we all remember how that worked out.

The constant need to be right and have the last word causes a circular pissing match that makes Dman look petty IMO.  I would never trust a guide that has all the answers and is unwilling to use common sense to learn and grow.

Then we have google .gif search guy who has nothing intelligent to add, so he tries to be funny and demeaning.  I wouldn't rope up with either of them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:12:52 AM by Shepherds Pie »

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2013, 10:27:41 AM »

IMNSHO, let's keep Champ/LL around.  He might be annoying but no more so than 1/5 of the people I have to deal with on a regular basis.  And because gone is forever and I like to (still) believe people can change/improve themselves if they work at it.

Besides, with Hugo Chavez gone, where else can one find fresh bombastic rhetoric with two clicks of the mouse? :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:29:45 AM by sneoh »

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »

Then we have google .gif search guy who has nothing intelligent to add...

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

WharfRat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »

At this point it is not just Champ/LL that is annoying. Dman imop seems to almost be a mirror image of  Champ/LL.  Both are very much annoying and both for very much the same exact reasons.

Many a times i have felt ban Champ/LL but in all reality banning someone because you do not like and or agree with or they annoy you is pretty lame. And if you ban Champ you might as well ban Dman as well. No actually if you ban Champ you must ban Dman!

Plus without Champ and LL's ongoing soapopraesk love affair you could practically hear tumble weeds blow through this place most days.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »

Can you back-up or elaborate on your statement about the snow rangers not having “practical” knowledge?

What I wrote is: "Look at the reference: it is from the avalanche center and I critic them to have an accademic knowledge of the problem, not a pratical knowledge"

I said the avalanche center: the goal of it is to avoid that the rescue wet out and that people take lion head when they state that the avy danger is any thing bigger than low. At least, it is the feeling of a lot of people. In some recent post, some change occur in the report. It will take some times before the climber get accostumed to it. Most of the time, the guy will say one thing and will be in the cliff when it is fun (condamn by the avalanche center) in the west. That contradiction is obvious to those who climb in high activity situation, with a good background. I never saw you up there Dman 

I hope that the time where the "fire insurance saler", shouting at loud to sold insurance that your 100 years old house will burned because you use a fire wood for all those year, is finished and that we are going to have good story, like some of papy and SA, to show that we can have close call in Mt Washington, but that is better to relly on your own judgment and friend to get out of a situation that going bad than to call the rescue...and that you have to plan and train to be able to selfrescue yourself. Am I in danger: the avy danger is low...check... This is stupid

In academic situation there is always a disturbing guy in the class who said I know every thing about hoar ice...I know every thing about metamorphism and used the theory of the methamorphism to explain hoar ice. This is not a deep understanding of the problem and metamorphism and hoar ice (particularly this year) happen every where.

What is a deep understanding of the problem: you are not stupid because you make a mistake. You are on your bike with your feet clip on the pedals...you saw a beatutifull women, but really beautifull, you wave at her...forget to remove your feet from the clip and fall down to the ground. Althought you feel miserable, it is because all your attention was concentrated on some thing important that you made a mistake, not because you are stupid.

In central couloir accident, the guys was filming and wanted a better angle. They just made a mistake.

WharfRat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »

The real entertainment in these battles between Champ/LL and Dman is the responses between the posts. Does anyone actually read what they have to say other than maybe to make sense of the latest comment posted in response to their blah blah blah.

I know i cant bring myself to read any of it anymore but the responses between all the blah blah blah can be pretty good entertainment sometimes.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:15:34 PM by WharfRat »

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »

What is the difference between dying (or paralyzed for life) due to stupidity or a "simple" mistake?
It is not the same as failing a written exam because of being pissed drunk the night before versus making a bunch of "silly" mistakes.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »

What is the difference between dying (or paralyzed for life) due to stupidity or a "simple" mistake?

When you told some one he is stupid, don't do that... we hope that you will gave the example and stop climbing because climbing is dangerous. You are doing a dangerous sport and can do a stupid mistake. Nobody will train

When you say you make mistake, because you wasn't enought concentrated or because you don't revised your knowledge, you will trained at least fifty percent of your time to be safe and really chalenge yourself to push your limit higher. And people will understand that they most train too to be safe...and the chalenge was to push there limit, not to meet the standard of sport hard climber.

Socrate, I think, said: Do what you did yesterday and a little bit more... definition of improvement. (NB doing a little bit more than an other person is foolish if you don't have the background) 

DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »

Socrate, I think, said: Do what you did yesterday and a little bit more...
No I think that was Michael Jacksons doctor that said that.
Don't Climb

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2013, 05:01:08 PM »

When you told some one he is stupid, don't do that... we hope that you will gave the example and stop climbing because climbing is dangerous. You are doing a dangerous sport and can do a stupid mistake. Nobody will train
Sorry, this makes no sense to me because I do not have even the most remote idea of you point here.
Anyone care to venture an interpretation?

And, please, hold off on your trad versus sport point, at least until late April.

mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »

Code: [Select]
And, please, hold off on your trad versus sport point, at least until late April.
What! No way, rock season is here. Time to move on... or back around the circle.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.