Author Topic: 10 worst climbs on Cathedral and Whitehorse  (Read 260 times)

Offline cgill

• NEClimbs Junior Member
10 worst climbs on Cathedral and Whitehorse
« on: May 12, 2004, 10:47:02 am »
At one point in my climbing days I decided to do all the climbs on Cathedral and Whitehorse that I could find. In about 1991 I think I had pretty much done it. In order to disagree with me or anyone else I think it is only fair that you have done the route. Here are 5 from Cathedral:
The Big Flush
Cathedral Direct
Karens Variation
Black Magic
Skeletons in the Closet

I am working on Whitehorse.

Sorry to any first ascentionists I have offended. I believe I did 3 of these with Charlie Towhsend so he can vouch for their quality. Who is The Other Andy?

Edge

Re: 10 worst climbs on Cathedral and Whitehorse
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 11:18:56 am »
I am working on Whitehorse.

Mistaken Identity is a pile.

Offline Erik_N

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: 10 worst climbs on Cathedral and Whitehorse
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 05:38:31 am »
So what's the criteria for the "worst" climb?  The last few years i've been doing some of the less traveled routes on Cathedral and found them to be really fun, but maybe a little dirty.  Examples:
1st pitch of Repetence looks like the biggest bag of crap but actually is good climbing.
The Corner 5.9 at the North End has quality climbing despite what the guidebooks say.
The Big Flush Is gross but somehow appealing in it's own trash filled way.
So here are my votes for worst, based mostly on the contrived nature, location, or it's simply not fun.
Pro Choice 10b? The bolts don't follow any line. You can climb 5 feet away from them at 5.9.
Pathfinder, It's a buch of old lines with 20 feet of new climbing and a really awkward mantel that is inconsistent  with the rest of the climb. The rest of the climbing is o.k.
Child's Play- If the approach was 5 minutes longer it would still be  covered in Lichen.
Chicken Little-  This is the 1 bolt route to your left that you look at when your belaying on Bombardment. It's a boulder problem at best. Silly.
Fault Line- same deal as Chicken Little on the far left side of the  Barber Wall
The Mercey-  Who cares how hard or good the climbing is when the route was drilled, chipped and glued?