General > Trip Reports

The pre trip report of sorts

(1/4) > >>

slacker:
As a post New england climber I always check neclimbs to see whats new and exciting in the whites. By post I mean that I just sold my house in Vermont this summer and I am currently living the unsettled lifestyle in my van. So the pre trip report is......

My wife and I are in Laredo Texas and after a long day of getting our act together (all required paper work and permits) we will hit the road to El Portero chico for the month of Feb.  We will be driving our van and two pouches to the mex experience.
We have been before but never via driving.  This will be exciting for sure.  Would love to hear stories comments on others experience in mexico,  and if any of you have the winter blues come on down ... looking to climb with other very untanned new englanders.

best,

matt

eyebolter:
Only flown to Portero but have driven around Mexico City   The cops can (and will if they see you) stop you and tell you that you have done something wrong that you didn't do.  You can pay them, or go to the station.  You don't want to go to the station.

In addition, there are lots of criminals near the border areas.

Frankly, I wouldn't drive there now.  Lots of bad stuff can happen.  Habla espanol?  If not you are even more vulnerable.

darwined:

--- Quote from: eyebolter on January 24, 2013, 11:12:28 AM ---Only flown to Portero but have driven around Mexico City   The cops can (and will if they see you) stop you and tell you that you have done something wrong that you didn't do.  You can pay them, or go to the station.  You don't want to go to the station.

In addition, there are lots of criminals near the border areas.

Frankly, I wouldn't drive there now.  Lots of bad stuff can happen.  Habla espanol?  If not you are even more vulnerable.

--- End quote ---

OK who's next folks?  Step right up!  Get your dreams crushed.  Step right up. :P

eyebolter:
Not my intention to crush anyone's dream.  It is a great place to climb, the people are great (most of them), but driving there unawares is asking for trouble.  Friends of mine planned on flying (not driving) and renting a house down there for a month two winters ago and cancelled, losing their deposit, because the conditions have deteriorated so much.

From where they will be, I'd recommend sport climbing at Hueco Tanks.  Fewer routes but better quality rock than Portrero, not to mention the bouldering.

You know what, they might do fine and have a great trip.  They might also get robbed, beaten up and left for dead as one prominent New England climber did.

I speak passable Spanish but you couldn't pay me five thousand dollars to drive there now.

slacker:
Haven't crossed the border yet, but someone can pay me $5000 to drive there.

Are there any half-glass-full stories out there?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version