NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The pre trip report of sorts  (Read 963 times)

slacker

• NEClimbs Junior Member
The pre trip report of sorts
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:37:42 AM »

As a post New england climber I always check neclimbs to see whats new and exciting in the whites. By post I mean that I just sold my house in Vermont this summer and I am currently living the unsettled lifestyle in my van. So the pre trip report is......

My wife and I are in Laredo Texas and after a long day of getting our act together (all required paper work and permits) we will hit the road to El Portero chico for the month of Feb.  We will be driving our van and two pouches to the mex experience.
We have been before but never via driving.  This will be exciting for sure.  Would love to hear stories comments on others experience in mexico,  and if any of you have the winter blues come on down ... looking to climb with other very untanned new englanders.

best,

matt

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
Re: The pre trip report of sorts
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:12:28 AM »

Only flown to Portero but have driven around Mexico City   The cops can (and will if they see you) stop you and tell you that you have done something wrong that you didn't do.  You can pay them, or go to the station.  You don't want to go to the station.

In addition, there are lots of criminals near the border areas.

Frankly, I wouldn't drive there now.  Lots of bad stuff can happen.  Habla espanol?  If not you are even more vulnerable.

darwined

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 03:36:54 PM »

Only flown to Portero but have driven around Mexico City   The cops can (and will if they see you) stop you and tell you that you have done something wrong that you didn't do.  You can pay them, or go to the station.  You don't want to go to the station.

In addition, there are lots of criminals near the border areas.

Frankly, I wouldn't drive there now.  Lots of bad stuff can happen.  Habla espanol?  If not you are even more vulnerable.

OK who's next folks?  Step right up!  Get your dreams crushed.  Step right up. :P

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:53:34 PM »

Not my intention to crush anyone's dream.  It is a great place to climb, the people are great (most of them), but driving there unawares is asking for trouble.  Friends of mine planned on flying (not driving) and renting a house down there for a month two winters ago and cancelled, losing their deposit, because the conditions have deteriorated so much.

From where they will be, I'd recommend sport climbing at Hueco Tanks.  Fewer routes but better quality rock than Portrero, not to mention the bouldering.

You know what, they might do fine and have a great trip.  They might also get robbed, beaten up and left for dead as one prominent New England climber did.

I speak passable Spanish but you couldn't pay me five thousand dollars to drive there now.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:05:06 PM by eyebolter »

slacker

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:08:02 PM »

Haven't crossed the border yet, but someone can pay me $5000 to drive there.

Are there any half-glass-full stories out there?

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:33 PM »

Try this - http://magicedspotrerochico.com/
I can't vouch for anything but I do know a few people in the photos he posted.
They are all still alive as far as I know! :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »

i dunno, a good friend of mine here who  was born in Monterey said he would not drive back to  see his family..MAYBE fly... his words , not mine

slacker

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »

hey all,

The drive was totally safe minus the minor sunburn on the one arm facing the window (thats what you get for being as white as me), and lets not forget the very very big pot holes. Those suckers could eat a whole tire no problem!
WOW is all I can say this place is great. Having been here before I knew it was great but seeing it again it is amazing.

Champ/ lucky luke: what is the difference between sport climbing and big wall sport climbing? LOL

We woke up at 5 am to make the drive(nervously), and really I can not stress how easy it was.  Flying would also be my first choice but we are traveling with our two dogs. That being said when we were stopped at a check point outside of Monterey I said in my very best spanish. dos perros ! They opened the back of the van to search us and our St. Bernard/Rotwiller /Charpe   poked his head up and they immediately closed the door and said adios. Good doggie.

I'm sure bad things can happen(very sure) but the only place I have ever had a gun pulled on me was in piea on Maui. Wrong place wrong time I guess. Honestly I am a wimp many of my climbing partners can verify this but I think a little adventure can only help you enjoy and appreciate life more.  Thats my two sense. If I can figure out how to put pics up on here I will share the adventure.

PS,
I thought the glass half full comment would get Stand to comment.  Thanks Jon

Best
Matt Barker

darwined

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 01:05:39 PM »

Just be careful who you associate with ;)     http://youtu.be/MCC_i_PyEog

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »

Not trying to judge, really... have a good trip

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 05:25:53 PM »

Dude , I hope you are on your way outta there ASAP

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:11:07 PM by JBrochu »
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »

I read it and couldn't even imagine the shit-- fucking savages

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »

Another reason to stick to bottled water in Mexico.

I'm getting more and more like, if I travel out of the country it will be to Norway or something. Mexico has been off my list for quite a while. I would rather deal with tigers or polar bears than whacked out people (not so into deadly snakes or insects though). Matt, be careful..And get you and your's the hell out of there, it's a war zone, no matter how pretty it is.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:02:30 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 12:03:26 AM »

I found these deeply disturbing -
" were shot and dismembered, then thrown down a well " and
"the largest single kidnapping since 2010 when 20 tourists were taken from Acapulco. Most were later found in a mass grave."

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 23 queries.