NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter water sources on Presidential Range traverse?  (Read 1198 times)

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
Winter water sources on Presidential Range traverse?
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:29:16 AM »

Looking to do the traverse in February in one day, including Jackson.  I have done it in one day to Clinton, carrying all my water, and have done it many years ago over four days where our stove stopped working.  We didn't find any water at Greenborough Spring, but were saved by a seep on the other side of the Lakes of the Clouds.

Looking to go super light so finding water would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ward
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:46:09 AM by eyebolter »

DLottmann

Re: Winter water sources on Presidential Range traverse?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »

All sources above tree-line in February are HIGHLY unreliable to non-existent.

I would carry a Jet Boil for a one-day. Hydrate like crazy the day before (and on the drive to trailhead) and I would carry 2 32 oz water bottles + Jet Boil. One full can of fuel should be enough... that doesn’t weigh much and will let you re-supply almost anywhere...

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »

Thanks, didn"t even think about melting.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:15:46 PM »

Ward, you can borrow my JetBoil if you don't have one and get it right back to me. Just don't let Jimmy A poke a hole in it with an iceaxe.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:24:41 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »

Is snow melt potable w/o treatment (iodine, filtration, etc) if not heating it to 180F?
I suppose fresh snow is clean enough.  Yes?

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

DLottmann

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »

Just bringing to a boil for a few seconds is enough... though I would probably risk it with pure snow above tree-line for a one day ascent... shouldn’t be any bacteria in there... but ya never know.... watch out for charmin flowers and don’t collect snow near them!   :o

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 05:25:43 PM »

Good point about risking it if above tree line and on a 1-day jaunt.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »

Good point about risking it if above tree line and on a 1-day jaunt.

Beavers and people, that is all you need to remember Soon.  I drink out of springs and seasonal streams in Massachusetts all the time, no worries as long as there are no beavers, and no people shitting above you.  Of course in the Presidentials no people shitting above you is pretty hard...

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:25:24 PM »

Thanks, didn"t even think about melting.

Seriously?

Yes, like I said the last time I did it in one day (except Jackson) we carried all our water.  The previous time we were melting water but we had 50 pounds of gear or more.  A stove isn't usually in my day kit but D-man is right, it is lighter than carrying the extra water.  I'm thinking going lean on the water (2-3 liters) and hoping to find some, but having the stove as a backup.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:37:15 PM »

Wouldn't you want a stove up there anyway? I wouldn't think of going anywhere very far in the winter without my Jetboil in case something happens unexpected and you get stuck longer than planned. At least you can make tea to hydrate and warm yourself up. If you get really stuck you can always cut your buddy's frozen toes off and make a soup.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 08:39:16 PM »

Wouldn't you want a stove up there anyway? I wouldn't think of going anywhere very far in the winter without my Jetboil in case something happens unexpected and you get stuck longer than planned. At least you can make tea to hydrate and warm yourself up. If you get really stuck you can always cut your buddy's frozen toes off and make a soup.

"If you carry bivouac gear, you WILL bivouac."  - Yvonne Chiounard

DLottmann

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »

... If you get really stuck you can always cut your buddy's frozen toes off and make a soup.

awesome

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 11:55:29 PM »

It appears that Jetboil runs on a butane/propane blend fuel.  The fuel canister might have some icing problem below 20F or so. Come to think of it, YOU might have icing problem yourself below 20F. :)

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 12:41:47 AM »

You could stick a handwarmer next to the canister while it is packed in the pot and I would have a lighter in case the little starter is not enough to get it going. I am pretty sure I have used it well below 20 deg with no problem and that people have used them on Everest, but I will defer to others on that. Not sure if it does anything, but I shake the canister before sticking the stove on.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

triguy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 06:57:41 AM »

I have used my jet boil below 20F and it works well. It just takes a bit longer to boil and is more affected by the wind so i use heavy duty aluminum foil as a wind screen. I have also found that sno peake fuel works best in cold weather.
Ice has two purposes in life: climbing and watering down bad scotch!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 23 queries.