NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter water sources on Presidential Range traverse?  (Read 1248 times)

DLottmann

Re: Winter water sources on Presidential Range traverse?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »

The fuel bottle is small and can be kept in the inside pocket of a shell jacket an hour before use... Iíve used them in subzero and occasionally warming them up will get it done.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »

Thanks for reassurances, guys.  It looks like a nice stove.  Got to love no pumping required!

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »

I have had issues with keeping cannisters warm and getting them to work well. I have had them fail when you need them and it's just to fustrating. I have not tried the jetboil system though. I go right back to an old svea white gas stove in the winter. And no I don't ever have to pump...don't even have the pump. I prep it as the manufacturer recomended so long ago...fuel around the neck, make sure the cap is on tight; light 'er up and go from there. Scares the crap out of the kids! There's a candle trick too if you're low on fuel.
Watch for heat loss when melting snow. I know if i'm going to do it multi day I carry my home-made heat exchanger and put that on the outside of the pot...you boil faster and don't use as much fuel.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »

I go right back to an old svea white gas stove in the winter. And no I don't ever have to pump...don't even have the pump. I prep it as the manufacturer recomended so long ago...fuel around the neck, make sure the cap is on tight; light 'er up and go from there. Scares the crap out of the kids! There's a candle trick too if you're low on fuel.

I loved my Svea. Carried it the lengths of the AT and PCT, using un-leaded gas and priming as above. Totally bombproof and reliable. Never cottoned to the MSRs. Unfortunately the Svea, MSRs, haul bag, 20+ years of old ropes and rock shoes, and pretty much everything else I owned, washed down the Winooski when Irene came through. Sniff. The Svea is one of the things I miss the most.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »

Last time I looked Campmore still carried the Svea.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Maxsuffering

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »

I got the winter version of the JetBoil with the regulator last year for long backcounry ski days with the same idea -carry less water and make more whenever needed. The system works... sort of. Down to 20F or so you're good, below that I have had mixed results. You can boil water but the time definitely increases dramatically as it gets colder, at around 0F I haven't had much luck using an unmodified stove.

Hints: 1) Use new canisters. The pressure is greater thus giving the stove more ummph, plus the fuel is a propane/butane mixture and I'm told that at cold temperatures the stove burns the more efficient propane quicker thus functioning well for a while and then losing efficiency quickly. I use a canister a couple of times and then mark it with tape and hang on to it to use on summertime overnights or for boiling coffee water car camping. (Without going to far afield here the reason these stoves work on Mt. Everest is because the reduced pressure at altitude compensates for the low temperature.) 2) Use a windscreen. The directions say not to, but do it anyway. 3) Do a quick search online for directions on how to make a heat exchanger using 1/2" copper pipe. I do not officially recommend it and the stove guy at the local gear shop just shook his head, but people do it. I haven't had much luck using hand warmers to keep the canister warm.

Mostly I've found myself carrying all the water I need for the day when it is genuinely cold. If I were camping or it was critical that the stove function on command I would choose white gas in the winter. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:04:56 PM by Maxsuffering »

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 09:48:12 AM »

How did I miss the news that Yvon Chouinard became Yvonne?  :-\

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 09:51:59 AM »

"Everyone" is getting a sex change these days!  The new Botox! :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 10:04:42 AM »

Ok i was just worried that Yvon had been californicated >:(

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »

Pretty sure it's still Patagonia, not Patriciagonia ;)
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.