Author Topic: house bill on rescue coverage  (Read 644 times)

Offline slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
house bill on rescue coverage
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »
http://www.wmur.com/news/escape-outside/-Hike-safe-card-proposed-to-fund-rescues/-/18282296/18343944/-/item/0/-/s71inv/-/index.html

The issue I have is first it will be a one time fee then someone will see a way to make money and make it an annual fee.
bailing is not failing!!!

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: house bill on rescue coverage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »
I think a lot of people would just take the risk of having to pay the flat fee in the event of a rescue....just because like you said....thw funding fromnthat "one time" $18 pass is gonna burn up quick.
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

darwined

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »
AAC membership is definitely the way to go.  Hundred bucks a year gets 10K in rescue insurance, ANAM, AAJ, tons of discounts for gear and magazines, Library access, and tons more. 

I'd rather not give my money to Concord by choice.  My two cents

Offline JChepes

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:16:50 PM »
Did you notice the picture of Stonehouse Pond in the picture on the link?  Quite the popular crag these days.  Couple of accidents and now the center of attention.

Offline hobbsj

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:11:20 AM »
Its interesting how the snowmobile and fisherman are said to pick up the slack.  I don't know about the boaters, but the snow sleds utilize a lot in funds.  Sure they are easier to access and therefor don't have the upfront cost that a hiker or climber rescue may have.  But, there's a lot more accidents (I imagine that the funds come from a different "pot" the same way people in a car accident aren't charged for police, but I'm just guessing).  And their accidents aren't always cut and dry to drive up with an ambulance. Look at the resources pulled in to the recovery of the bodies on Rangeley Lake this year. Plus the associated health care costs is huge.  Even more so from the perspective of surrounding states to NH since often those without insurance schlepped over to Maine Med. Even without a true rescue, the shear number of injuries is huge.
   If it stays an optional insurance for the public, that is awesome.  Not a lot of people even know what the AAC is, let alone rescue insurance through a 3rd party.  Colorado uses an annual fee and I think that's a great system.  But I forsee a couple of problems.  Like already mentioned, the one time fee becoming annual, but then becoming mandatory some how, like linked the to parking pass in the whites.  Although a flat fine would be great as it eliminates some of the number inflation that goes in to calculating the costs of rescues (ie billing for 8 rescuer although 4 were on duty to begin with or the fact that air rescues by the National Guard are largely accounted for in fuel costs as the pilots are usually out just getting flight time to stay current to begin with), but when does the fine get accrued?  Like an ambulance fee where its once aid is rendered, or once the call is made even though I bail myself out with the aid of some other climbing parties in the area?

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »
With the AAC, do we pay to have an insurance of 10 000$ for rescue???

with other benefit and more members...?

Online strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:19 AM »
The Colorado fund works pretty well as mentioned. It's $3 and included for thing like hunting permits and atv use... 50,000 hunters for example generates a lot of revenue. National Guard gets rescue experience and the MRS folks get some cash as well.

DLottmann

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
With the AAC, do we pay to have an insurance of 10 000$ for rescue???

with other benefit and more members...?

Here’s the deal on AAC rescue insurance:

http://americanalpineclub.org/p/global_rescue

AAC is awesome IMO... been a member almost since I started climbing... that and Access Fund only two things I contribute to yearly voluntarily... AMGA & AIARE is required for work...