NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OMG!  (Read 1213 times)

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: OMG!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 06:06:10 PM »

I likly would have made 2 threads with cord but you never know  what it was really like unless you were there. At least these guys seemed like good climbers. the brits were all gumby central...

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »

At least these guys seemed like good climbers. the brits were all gumby central...

true...

however, the amount of stuff coming off as the leader climbed was more than I've ever gotten to come off Black Pudding! at one spot he was pealing it off with his hands!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »

And yet another from AK.....
https://vimeo.com/58137144

At least it will be concrete evidence when someone bites it hard...

While watching at 2:58 I said to my wife, tools too close... POP

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 05:27:54 AM »

That was pretty obvious from the armchair but as the leader comented, in the heat of the moment when you are pumped sometimes you make mistakes..

DLottmann

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 07:41:13 AM »

Not saying I wouldn’t have made the same mistake... I was just trying to guess when the fall was coming...

sherpajosh69

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 08:17:40 AM »

As someone who would look at a climb like that and just keep walking, it was pretty gripping just knowing it was coming. The slow motion just before it popped showed the spread of the block from the flow starting and getting wider with each swing.

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »

I've been to the base of taurine, and can assure that thing is mean looking. What the video doesn't tell you is the commitment just to get to the ice. It's about 100 road miles from Anchorage, then about 7 miles of unmaintained snowmobile trails that change not only from year to year but day to day, then another 13 or so miles up moose infested river shelf ice. The way in once off the road can take anywhere from 2 to four hours depending on moose encounters and snow conditions (once counted 37 moose on the river alone). Once you over come the travel hurdle you then have to deal with the elements. The climb straddles the line where interior cold meets the more maritime climate of the chugach. Often it will be weeks of -20f followed by days of 10f and snow then dip back to -20f. Lastly, when they climbed it there was maybe 6 hours of daylight. Quite the challenge just to look at the icicle.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »

It looked pretty darn legit to me.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 23 queries.