NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb things you do when you're young and inexperienced  (Read 4901 times)

smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
Re: Dumb things you do when you're young and inexperienced
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »

Jesus Ken, what did you  expect ? Climbing and drinking with a Scot ?!

Shit, i;m part Scot

Och eye, John! Ye up fer eh bit of Ferret leg'in are ya?
Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »

Ferretlegging.
Now that's just nasty.

Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »

I laughed until I cried reading this one - http://www.wesjones.com/ferret.htm

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »

Jesus Ken, what did you  expect ? Climbing and drinking with a Scot ?!

Shit, i;m part Scot

Och eye, John! Ye up fer eh bit of Ferret leg'in are ya?

jamie, i see an f/a in the making

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2013, 10:39:18 PM »

So an ethics question for you old timers..... if one were to do a FA whilst Ferret Legging would every subsequent ascent of said route have to be done in the same fashion?

-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »

.....and how do you feel about someone Retro-Ferreting some of your past FAs?
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »

You canno deny the ferret

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2013, 07:29:06 PM »

JC laddie- I recall a time whilst skiing where every time you turned left you let out a blood curdling scream. I remember it as pretty funny. You I'm thinkin remember pain.

If there ever was a ferret in yer pants, it for sure was then.

smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »

JC laddie- I recall a time whilst skiing where every time you turned left you let out a blood curdling scream. I remember it as pretty funny. You I'm thinkin remember pain.

If there ever was a ferret in yer pants, it for sure was then.

No doubt youth!  Back in the day with leather boots and 200mm double camber skinny skis- talking about Morton's neuroma!  Skiing off of Lafayette I believe.

(Ken's reference to the Red House Gang in the Adirondacks: read my essay in Jim Lawyer's latest rock guide to the Adirondacks).

Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »

Bump this thread.
Forget young and inexperienced.
Go with dumb.
I know I've got a few more tales.

JJ Jameson

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2013, 10:03:33 PM »

OK, here's a non climbing one.

Around '90-'91 there was a winter with almost no snow, but several big rain events, and very cold. I was in Bartlett with the crew, (my eventual wife, my climbing partner Joel, his GF, and some other locals) in between skiing and Ice climbing, we looked for fun winter activities. Since there was no snow, all the ponds had frozen into glassy smoothness, perfect for ice skating.
We undertook to Drive/Hike up to a bunch of ponds to go skating, over the course of several days. Back Country Skating. Awesome fun. We'd bring liquid and herbal refreshments, and have a blast.
This culminated in a journey up Town Hall Road up to Mountain Pond. We drove up as far as we could, then the road ceased to be sanded and salted, but had a solid coating of ice on it. Once the trucks started to slide sideways off the road, we parked and hiked the rest of the way, probably about a mile, of a steady incline. The only way to walk safely was to walk in the brush/rocky edge of the road. The road itself was treacherous.
We all made our way up to the pond and skated until the sun was about to drop behind the ridge line. Great times.
As we booted up and started to walk back, it occurred to me, this road is completely iced over, and downhill, all the way to the trucks. Why are we hiking?

We should skate.

So, we put the skates back on, and tried it out. Yup. it worked, we were quickly able to get way more speed than we wanted. So we would go, then stop after a bit, then start again. Joel and I wanted longer runs, so we grabbed long branches, and used them trailing behind us as outriggers, as the blades were so short, the fore and aft stability was awful. With this support in the back, we could maintain stability and get going really fast. we went flying down the road, carving turns like skiers. With the light fading, it was getting a bit darker, that's when it got really cool. There was the occasional piece of gravel or sand, and we found that if your blade hit it, it would make a spark off the skate blade. So there we were, flying down the hill whooping and hollering, laughing at the tops of our lungs, carving turns with some serious sparks flying off our feet every 10-15 feet. Racing down the hill, side by side.
We made it down to the bottom in one piece, then sat there in the dark, listening to all the others come down, seeing those sparks jumping around as the others came in to view.
We almost lost one of our number, when, without the benefit of the outrigger, she got going too fast, and was wildly windmilling her arms to keep her balance before finally tumbling off the road into the brush. Thank god for fluffy winter clothing and mittens, as she escaped with not even a scratch, but just some bruising.

We called it "Extreme Skating". One of the most fun days I've ever had in the Mountains. We all laughed so hard we couldn't talk.

darwined

« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2013, 10:11:57 PM »

So I'm still fairly young and inexperienced, so my story isn't going to come close to some of the great stories in this
thread.  Last summer some guys were gracious enough to let me tag along on their trip to the Winds.  Here's a snippit.

The drive from the airport in Salt Lake to Pinedale was complete with a store that sold "LIQUOR AND FIREWORKS",
a rest stop toilet that could've passed for a crime scene, and an entire herd of cattle being driven off a hundred foot
cliff(this, I did photograph).  Lots of laughs were had.

The stoke in the first twenty-four hours was like nothing I've ever felt.  You know what I'm talking about, last minute packing, joking
around,and sluggin' back the last cold beer you'll even see for eight days. It was awesome.

So we head in at Big Sandy opening with these HUGE hundred pound packs.  It's flat, so it's pretty cruiser for the first five
miles to Big Sandy Lake.  We'd heard about a climber's trail around the back side of Big Sandy Lake that was supposed to shave
forty-five minutes and a mile and a half off the approach to Haystack.  No brainer right? Well, if you've ever been, you prolly
know about the million plus little paths the look promising at the start but eventually peeter out to wilderness.  So the next
six hours or so was spent kinda thrashing about the hillside behind Big Sandy Lake.  Finally, after a pretty hair-raising
river crossing, we reached some high ground where we could see the trail about two miles and a thousand feet BELOW us.

Trying to find that "climbers trail" with HUGE packs was pretty dumb. That first day definitely evened out the stoke a bit.
Great trip!

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2013, 07:18:48 AM »

Hey Darwined,

I think I know exactly where you were when you looked down on the correct trail. I was in there last August, and did much fishing as well. The trails leading into Black Joe Lake, skirt high above the Haystack trail, and I bet you were heading that way.

Fun place!

darwined

« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2013, 08:18:55 AM »

Nah.  We had hiked up onto the shoulder of Schiester Peak.  The river we had to cross was fed by Temple Lake.  Black Joe Looks like a great area.  Did you spend anytime on that wall north of Wind River Peak?  That baby looks really impressive. I definitely want to get back out there before too much time passes.

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:04 AM »

Me and Jimmy decide it's a good day to go paragliding. Mind you, James has only flown a few "test flights" at Point of the Moutain in SLCity, a year and a half prior. So we hike up the Webster Cliff trail, breaking trail the whole way. At launch, we encounter complete whiteout conditions. The wind direction is perfect but a wee bit strong. James turns to me and says, "I'm not very experienced with all this, so I'm gonna take your word on it. If you think it's doable, I'm launching". As I got him harnessed up and the canopy layed out, I really wasn't sure. I stood in front of him and held tightly onto his harness as he pulled the canopy up. SNAP!! The wind being as strong as it was,the chute immediately inflated, and James goes straight up. I was 5ft off the ground when I "released" him. He went 30ft above me before he  s l o w l y  started penetrating the wind. I watched with mixed feelings as he dissapeared into the cloud/blizzard. Sure hope he finds the LZ.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:13:50 AM by kenreville »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 23 queries.