Author Topic: New Stuff ??  (Read 1510 times)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
New Stuff ??
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »
Given the current freeze/thaw, here's one i have always thought would be a cool ice/mixed line.

Right of Crack in the Woods and just left of Pumping Station is a wet,steep, crazy crack/corner. i have NEVER seen it dry during maybe 15 visits to this crag. the steep corner leads to pumping Station 5.10 hand/fist crack finish and this section of cliff is shaded

have fun !

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Re: New Stuff ??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:57:08 PM »
Speaking of new stuff, did anybody get to ski/snowshoe out to the eastern Green's crags this winter? I had hoped to, but have had no chance and it doesn't look like I am going to get one. There is a sweet looking steep (some overhanging) wet gully out there that looks like it would provide great new routing potential. There is probably a bunch more there too.
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/107271173
In winter you would want to approach from below.

Sawyer pond is just down and right out of the picture.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:03:25 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

darwined

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
I looked at Greens through a scope a month ago.  Granted it was the side you see from the Kanc but, I didnt see anything that looked in.  Is this picture left or right of the view from the Kanc?

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »
This pic is to the right looking from the Kanc. A bit hard to see this section. The main green's faces mostly south .
A long approach from sawyer 'cause the road is closed

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »
Right. From the Kanc the cliff with the cleft would be pretty much on edge, so you probably wouldn't be able to see much.  I took the photos from a long way away, actually from the right cliff at Owls, and then stitched them together. That is why it is so blurry. From the left cliff you would get a much better view. If I get a chance for a snowshoe I might run in there to get a better picture, or maybe just see how it is coming in from the north to the pond.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:01:19 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »
Does the road from the north get snowmobiled on? That is what kind of wrecks skiing in on Rob Brook. They screw up the snow and the noise and fumes kind of blows the wilderness experience. It is hard to get into a rhythm when constantly having to get out of their way.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:03:47 PM by M_Sprague »

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
i don't think it's supposed to be mechanized BUT.... i know Al has skied up there, he may know.
If I remember , it's 3 ? miles to the parking and then a ways to the eastern crags

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 05:55:05 AM »
the snowmobiles ride all around in there. maybe not on the Sawyer Pond Trail, but pretty much everywhere else. if you have studded tires on your bike, once this last snow is packed out, you could ride up Bear Notch Road and then up the Rob Brook for quite a ways. until this last snow I was riding everywhere on the snow machine trails.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
What would be the best way to get to Sawyer Pond? Is there a trail map available showing a route to the pond? I am pretty sure i have heard people in the valley and it sounded like it was coming from the pond. I am assuming there is an access road to get there. 

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
I haven't done it myself, but from 302 Sawyer River road brings you down closer to the pond and then there is a trail there. The AMC maps will show it. Looking at the google map https://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.0397,-71.396&t=h&hl=en it looks about the same distance coming in the pond way or the summer ways. If doing the summer way, you would just break off the climbers trail at the point where it turns left and traverses the hillside. You would go north instead.

on the google map, don't pay attention to the "A"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:07:43 PM by M_Sprague »

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »
Sawyer Road goes to a car park after maybe 3 miles,, it's a short hike to the pond (some small crags) maybe 20 minutes in summer.
the road itself is not very steep but it is contiuous.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »
if you take a quick RIGHT from the parking lot (west) you head up into the Valley of the Captain.. might find some stuff up there  ;) ;)

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »
So the road is plowed generally up to the parking lot in Winter? That would make it worth trying to go in that way.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »
So the road is plowed generally up to the parking lot in Winter? That would make it worth trying to go in that way.

Are we talking about Sawyer River Road here? Because if so it is not plowed, and only open to snow machines, skiers and hikers however it is probably packed out enough to ride on a mountain bike with studded tires.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 05:26:40 PM »
Sorry, i meant the upper parking. I have never seen SRR open before mid -may

it's a long way to the Captain from 302.. maybe close to 7 ? miles each way