NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Taxi driver interviews Dave Graham  (Read 1845 times)

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Taxi driver interviews Dave Graham
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 11:10:03 PM »

Even though they do not climb as high of a # grade, climbers like Dean Potter and Honold who solo big rocks rank above the top pebble pinchers. And then there is Lynn Hill.  Top 5 for DG is a wet dream.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »

Tommy and Uli got married? Imagine if they could have a baby!
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »

Dean potter couldn't get off the ground on half of Dave's problems..   nor could he send Realization or Coup de Grace..   but because he seems to do more slacklining than climbing these days anyway.    Soloing warmups doesn't impress me.   V16 is fucking hard.
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »

I threw dean potters name out there simply because I  watched a video of him soloing the nose. Free soloing 5.11 thousands of feet off the deck with a rope coiled on your back and a rack weighting you down is way more impressive than a little boulder regardless of how hard those 4 moves are.

I can use my own pathetic self as a model. I put up a 30m 5.11b sport climb last fall but i have not and am chicken to lead Childrens Crusade. I have no doubt that there is someone out there who has led childrens crusade who can not lead 11b sport. I would without hessitation say that anyone who has led CC is a better climber than myself.   I don't know much about Dave Grahm. Does he do big stuff like Free Rider? 

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »

There are olympian archers who I find far more impressive than olympic basketball players...  does that mean they aren't all olympians?   

you clearly do not know a thing about dave graham.  that is for sure.     

I've always said that people who either put down or disregard styles of climbing do so because they can't do it.   you probably suck at bouldering so you disregard it as inferior to boost your puny ego. 

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »

I do not suck at bouldering any worse than i suck at any other kind of climbing. We are not compareing archers to basketball players. We are compareing climbers to climbers.   you are correct in that i do not know much about Dave Grahm but i do know that climbing really, really hard little rocks does not trump climbing really hard humungous rocks :-*

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 07:44:20 PM »

so you don't think that a 5.15 climber  couldn't go climb 5.13 on gear if he chose to?   it would be like a 5.10 climber going to climb 5.5 warm ups on gear.   

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »

What is a greater accomplishment? The Nose free or redpointing the Fly with the 1st 2 bolts stick clipped? the fly has a harder grade yet is not even on the same planet as the Nose. You seem to be obsessed with grades. There are many climbs that a number grade does not do justice to. What is harder? a 3 meter v15 boulder problem or free soloing RNFHD   How about climbing 5.14 sport and being able to free solo the North face of the Eiger in 2hrs and change. So many truely insane big climbing accomplishments out there it is impossible to pin top honors on an insane small climbing accomplishment.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »

Nothing wrong with being able to climb 5.15  pretty sure Tommy Caldwell can do that.  I  do not buy for a min though that if all you climb is little rocks that you can call yourself the best or amongst the best. Take that skill and apply it to big rocks and then you can call yourself the best.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 09:44:23 PM »

Why such vitriolic bickering over such an arcane and subjective point? You can't compare extreme boulder problems to hard long routes, hard sport, speed mountaineering or solos. Dave probably wasn't thinking in terms of all those disciplines when he said "top five, maybe", but on the "climbing"  he has focused on.  For a while he was arguably part of the top few in bouldering and sport climbing, pushing the envelope pretty hard. He is also a good guy and fun to be around. Goofy climbing videos aren't really  great for getting an accurate sense  of someone.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 10:21:10 PM »

I am sure he is a great guy and a great climber. I tend to think of climbing as climbing. I lump it all together. . A feature or asthetic of a route is what makes me want to climb it. When I compare the routes that I have done the grade is not the defineing factor of what makes the route hard or great. There is so much more to climbing than the number grade. The hardest climb I have done is Ragnarock. the rock climbing is only about 5.8 and the ice climbing is only 4+ but it was harder, more exciteing, more esthetic and way more rad than any of the single pitch ice or rock climbs I have done with higher number grades. I look at the route in the bouldering video. other than being hard it is not all that impressive. Just a tiny little rock with no holds for the 1st 3 moves. Look at the Nose free and its OMG that is impressive. heck it has been said that the Lotus Flower Tower is the best rock climb in the world and it is only 6a

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 10:39:51 PM »

Why such vitriolic bickering over such an arcane and subjective point? You can't compare extreme boulder problems to hard long routes, hard sport, speed mountaineering or solos. Dave probably wasn't thinking in terms of all those disciplines when he said "top five, maybe", but on the "climbing"  he has focused on.  For a while he was arguably part of the top few in bouldering and sport climbing, pushing the envelope pretty hard. He is also a good guy and fun to be around. Goofy climbing videos aren't really  great for getting an accurate sense  of someone.

Nice post. The voice of reason.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 11:32:59 PM »

http://vimeo.com/43986462      3:50

Dave comes up with body movements that most folks couldn't fathom..   on another boulder he does a drop knee off a toe hook to top out..    i've never seen anyone else use toe hooks and bicycle moves more effectively. 

http://www.climbing.com/video/daniel-woods-3rd-ascent-of-the-grey-v14/    2:50..  Daniel can't hold the toe so he has to do it his own way..  also ridiculous.   

regardless of grade, height or gear involved..  they produce some amazing climbing SKILL and MOVEMENT.   

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:02 AM »

No doubt about that.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »

Doesn't matter  Tommy and Dave are both great climber who have been at it quite a while now...big, rocks/little rocks.. the constant f/a's and travel are inspiring

Wasn't the Fly maybe 13 years ago ?? roped bouldering, whatever 14+ and Tommy's Flex Luther 15A is , i think still unrepeated from maybe 10 year ago ?

We'll see what happens when Tommy and Chris Sharma team up in the Valley soon... rumored to be the Leaning tower line(5.15)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 23 queries.