NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticky Rubber  (Read 342 times)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Sticky Rubber
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:01:36 AM »

It was 30 years ago today that i bought my first Fires from bachar out in Joshua tree... $60 and his quote "you'll climb 5.12 for sure in these"   he was close, i did some JT 5.11 and then a first 5.12 in NH later that year

Those floppy, stretched, painful shoes sure changed things

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Re: Sticky Rubber
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »

I remember my first pair too John...total game changer from the used pair of EB's that I started with. Do you guys remember the Camas...Calmas??? Red and white high tops that were meant to compete with the Fires. A sloppier shoe with a squared off toe box....very comfy, just not very precise.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »

Ya- the Calma's were comfy and WAY hi top. I seem to remember a giant, bulbous toe as well ?

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »

Ya- the Calma's were comfy and WAY hi top. I seem to remember a giant, bulbous toe as well ?

Do you remember who made that shoe John? Spanish company?
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:51:20 PM »

I think Calma is the name of the (Spanish) shoe company.
You just missed out, Grammy!  There was a pair on E-Bay (maybe even your size) -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Calma-Lince-1-Rock-Climbing-Shoes-/290655153688?viewitem=

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »

The great Hidetaka Suzuki, who's english needed some work, used to call Fire's  "boot of spanish rub"

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:21:07 AM »

The great Hidetaka Suzuki, who's english needed some work, used to call Fire's  "boot of spanish rub"

LMAO...I sure could use a little spanish rub right about now!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.